This is my list of things that are currently making me happy.
Since my trip to the Walmart bakery yesterday, I've sure been obsessed with Everything. For .59 I decided to pick up a couple Asiago cheese and Everything bagels, and I may just be hooked for life. These bagels were fresh and packed with so much flavor they completely satisfied my craving for salt. Since moving to Jersey I've been dying to try the H&H bagels I spotted on Long Island. I recognized the name, but just couldn't put my finger on where I've heard it. Maybe an episode of Seinfeld? Anyhow, I'm sure these bagels will be a staple in my kitchen for a while.
While on the topic of Long Island and food, I am completely obsessed with Shake Shack. Well actually, is it even possible to be obsessed with food you've never tried?? I'm all about recommendations from the few locals I know because, duh, they're unpaid, unbiased opinions that will help you better navigate the thousands of restaurants in New York City. So when the words Shake Shack came up in conversation from multiple unrelated locals, I knew I had to try it. Located in Central Park, and a few other places across the city, Shake Shack is just that- a shack. You order your hot dog/burger/fries and shake at one window, pick it up at another, and eat your goods at a garden table for two in the beauty of the largest park in New York. Heck, it's so good that Ginnifer Goodwin and Colin Egglesfield make a point of eating Shake Shack three times in the new movie Something Borrowed. Yeah, I counted. That's how obsessed I am with this place. Now if only I could try it myself!
Alright, on to something a little more, wait what's that word? Oh yeah... healthy. I am so happy that we still live near a Panera Bread. I cannot get over their pick two deal, where you score a half salad and half soup or sandwich for a little under $8. I was getting pretty sick of Zupa's for a while there, so rediscovering Panera was a score. I first found this place in Florida two years ago. I'd pick up their baked goods after my morning shift at work and surprise Jason with his beloved cinnamon roll for breakfast. After our Florida summer, we frequented the location in Vegas whenever we'd visit Jason's family, and finally we're close by again, at our apartments in both Charlotte and Jersey. What could be better this summer than Panera's fuji apple salad and barbecue chicken sandwich? Or for a day like Tuesday when it was foggy and cold, the baked potato soup. Mmmm!
Okay I think I ate a whole bag of these things in a matter of hours. I've always loved the classic cheddar goldfish, but I recently picked up the Cinnamon version and fell in love. Bitesize and less mess than graham crackers, I assure you this snack is not just for kids. In fact, I may just pack myself a treat bag for church! Okay maybe not. But really, try them. They're worth the dollar something.
So you know how they have an interview with Mr. or Ms. famous something on the last page of People magazine? No? Alright I'm gonna go bury my head in a pile of sand. ;) Anyways, in one of those interviews, some star raved about Maybelline's Falsies mascara. Since my Smashbox mascara is... tear....gone, and I don't really want to drop the $22 for a new one, I gave this stuff a shot. Paired with my following obsession, this stuff makes my lashes look good. I'm one of those peeps that stick with the same old same old stuff when it comes to beauty, so giving this a shot was a hopeful grasp. Since I forgot how much I hate waterproof, I'll be going back one of these days for another tube. Love it!
Since I was formerly an optician, us girls at Optical Associates got the hookups from sales reps. Okay it's not as bad as it sounds. Since Latisse is an ophtalmic solution, we got a three month's supply of this lash-growing wonder. Thank goodness I found it when I did, because I pretty much had no eyelashes. I'd just gotten lash extensions for my wedding, and when they grew out, or were pulled out... yeah not a good thing to have lash extensions when you're stressed... they took my own lashes with them, leaving my eyes pretty much bald. Sick huh. So I applied Latisse liberally every night to all of a sudden find lashes again a few weeks later. This stuff saved my life. Latisse is well over $100 a pop, but you can ask your optometrist for an over the counter prescription. And if he's anything like the doctor I worked for, he'll have coupons too.
So I'm trying to get into lip color. With Spring in full swing, there are so many lovely shades of lipsticks and gloss, that I have absolutely no excuse for bare lips. I'm crazy for gloss, but lipstick is a new addition to my beauty regimen. So until I find that perfect lipstick, I've been using Smashbox Limitless Long Wear Lipgloss in 'Round the Clock almost constantly because it does in fact last 'round the clock! It's not bubblegum pink like the picture, but more of a shimmery coral without the harsh orange. I've never had a better gloss.
Now on to beauty and the dog. I'm obsessed with Martha Stewart peppermint shampoo for pets. It's gone down from $9 to $6 at Petsmart, and it smells sooooo good. I want to cuddle with Ollie for hours after he's bathed with this stuff. Well I want to cuddle with him anyway, but you know what I mean!
Speaking of smells, I have to acknowledge the amazing scent wafting from my kitchen. And no it's not my cooking are you kidding me?? My mother in law Debbie had me pick out a Scentsy and a handful of scent bars for my birthday. I've never had a Scentsy and always just used the Bath and Body Works plug-ins that spill oil everywhere when you take them out of the wall, so I was thrilled to get one! They have so many choices now, classic ones, sporty ones, playful ones, weird ones. But since I've got a black and white rug, table runner, memo board and dishes for the kitchen, so naturally zebra would match perfectly. And with the heavy cleaning products used prior to our move in, believe me when I say that Scentsy's been put to use. Thank you Deb!!
Since my days in Jersey consist of pretty much nothing, I've suddenly become a huge fan of reading. I used to read a lot in K-12, but since college, books have pretty much been nothing but torture. Until now. My friend Sara told me she read Water for Elephants and since I loved the movie, I picked up the book the same day. I read all 421 pages in 48 hours, and upon finishing the book, I knew I needed another. I've made trips to Books A Million, Target and Barnes and Noble, but at the rate I'm reading this could easily develop into an expensive hobby. I've never been real into Ebay or Amazon, but my experience ordering Eat Pray Love a year ago turned out pretty good, so I decided to give Amazon another shot. So far, my order of Breakfast at Tiffany's, Three Cups of Tea, and Rich Dad Poor Dad has come to $18. Not bad for three books. I'm dying to get my order, I'm so bored I'm ready to sit down and read a cookbook. ;)
In my boredom I recently discovered a new blog that I've been really happy with. Say YES! to Hoboken is a style and craft blog written by Liz Stanley, a woman who lived in Hoboken as a newlywed and recently moved to San Francisco. Since my blog list usually consists of people I don't know living who knows where, it was cool to stumble across this one, since Hoboken is like 10 minutes away! So far I've loved her diy projects, and I appreciate her take on style, refreshing and chic, yet down to earth and conservative. Check it out!
While we're on the subject of style can I just say how much I miss Downeast Outfitters? They had some really good jewelry before I left, and I splurged on a few really good spring items, only to forget my box of jewelry in the move. Kill me. I loved the bracelet I found pictured in box one above, in muted shades of purple and green. That and my sparkly ocean-blue earrings and the easter-colored bangles that would so perfectly go with my outfit... Ugh. Like I said. Oh how I miss Downeast and the jewelry they had to offer.
So I've really been wanting some shoes. But the only problem is, I think they've made up in my mind. I want some really comfortable flats, preferably made of canvas, but still cute. I was so happy when Buckle finally brought in their Sanuk's for girls, the guys' line looked so comfortable. They were designed in California by some surfer and subsequently are perfect for the beach and summertime. I'm completely uninterested in heels lately, in fact, or anything that is even remotely difficult to get my foot into. So I followed up as soon as Buckle got their girls' line of Sanuks in, only to find unstructured, ugly shoes that look like slippers. Comfortable yes, but I want structured. Cute. Journey's has the Rocketdogs pictured above, and this time they are both comfortable and structured. Only problem is that I can't decide if I like them. See what I mean? I'm searching for something that doesn't exist. So finally, I gave in and bought these.
Sperrys. I know. I've been saying for months that I could never pull those off, but now they're suddenly in my closet. Hey, a girl likes a challenge right. They're nautical, they're structured, and they're cute. Comfortable? Eh I'll letcha know when the blister on my heel goes down. In the meantime, I'll still be searching for the shoes that are made up in my mind. I'm obsessed, okay? Not picky. ;)
Finally, the last thing I'm obsessed with lately is Ipad cases. Pinnacle gave me a leather folder-like case, but when all the other male reps in the office have the same one you do, your femininity takes a hit. Aren't these cases beautiful? I'm sure I won't get one right away, but I'm constantly checking out at all the pretty prints and patterns they have to offer.
What can I say, I'm obsessed! :)



















those cases are adorable! the striped one and houndstooth are my favorite and those sperrys are bomb. nautical theme is HUGE this summer you should wear those with your cute white cropped pants YUM! i am excited to hear more about your fun times in nyc. was something borrowed good? i want to see it but only if it is worth the $ of i will wait to redbox it. did you like water for elephants? i am going back to ut for two weeks end of june and am going to pick up some books while i am there we can mail books back and forth to eachother if you want haha to save on cost! anyways hope you are having fun!
ReplyDeleteIf you have an ipad you can download books with a NOOK and a KINDLE app they have. So you can read books for even cheaper than buying and then worrying about selling or taking them with you when you move again. Books that are past their copyright are free-like Pride and Prejudice, A Tale of Two Cities, etc.
ReplyDeleteShaley