Saturday, June 18, 2011

Cupcakefest

It was 1:58 when I realized the flea market I was heading to ended at 2:00. It was the only thing I had planned for my day besides sending out late Father's Day cards and walking Ollie.

Defeated, I headed home to take Ollie up on that walk. But as I drove through town I spotted some white tents in the middle of East Rutherford's little town square. It looked like a farmer's market from the street, what with people swarming around bartering for goods, except that it couldn't be because that is held down the street from Avalon, and only on Wednesdays.

My curiosity got the best of me and I parked to explore the goings-on of my new city. To my surprise, I had stumbled upon New Jersey's annual Cupcakefest.






The all-day concert and festival was in full-swing with The Nico Blues jamming out on stage, free cupcakes all around, and local crafters and vendors selling a variety of sweet goods. This year the fest benefited a local animal shelter so a number of dogs joined in the party, hoping to find a good family to take them home.





Jace and I have talked about getting a second pup, but today just wasn't the day. Pinnacle contacted us a few weeks ago about having a pet in their provided housing so our options were pretty much to pay the $2000 rent or to "get rid of him." Much to our dismay the only realistic option is to send him back to Utah to live with my family for the rest of the summer. It's pretty safe to say that me and the property manager aren't great friends. >:( Anyway, so for the next few months I'm going to have to live without my new best friend. I just don't know how I'll do it. :'(




Anyway, I moved from booth to booth, checking out what each vendor had to offer.



Vegan-themed pins at one booth



Little-girl tutus at another



Canned goods sold here


Jewelry sold there



The jewelry was my favorite. There were so many unique items, and I just so happened to have cash on me from my previous plans for the flea market. I got a swinging deal on this little beauty. I didn't want the set so the vendor lowered the price for the single necklace.
 
 
Then I spotted this little charm necklace for just a couple bucks. And hey, who couldn't use a little bit of luck around their neck??  :)
 
 
 
Finally, I spotted some adorable hand-made cards. Cupcakes, ice cream cones, umbrellas and whales, each so cute and brightly-colored you don't want to give them away! So I sprung for this one, in hopes of framing and hanging it in my kitchen. Wouldn't that be fun with a yellow or pink frame??
 
 
 
Finding this little festival made my day. Because who needs fleas when you've got cupcakes?!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that your buddy is leaving :( The cupcake fest looks like a fun find!

    ReplyDelete