I've got some blogging to do.
In the space of two weeks I toured NYC with my siblings, got some sun at the Jersey shore, visited Yale in Connecticut, watched fireworks in Indiana, got Dippin' Dots in Chicago, suffered through the plains of Wyoming and started fixing up a house in Utah. We've been busy that's for sure. But I have to say these past two weeks were probably the best of my entire summer. Oh how I love this time of year. I'm convinced the only bad thing about this season is the speed at which it goes by. Anyway, I've got some catching up to do as far as blogging goes.
As a graduation present my mom and I decided to send Larissa out to Jersey as a senior trip. My mom wanted to come too, but being the selfless woman she is she sent my youngest brother Joel instead. Since we lived just west of the Hudson I'd been dying to explore New York, but navigating the busy streets and admiring the sights is no good on your own, so I was thrilled to have them come.
We sampled the Jersey beaches, as well as Coney, Ellis and Liberty Islands, but those pics will come later. My sweet parents sent plenty of money, so we created a plan of attack and got to work. :)
Our adventure started with a train ride to Hoboken, because no one can leave New Jersey without a trip to Carlos' Bakery. Once at the bakery, we found a handful of people at front, but no line to be found. I had just finished telling Larissa how lucky we were- that usually the line stretches all the way down the street, when one of the bakery employees informed us there was in fact a line, just around the corner and out of sight. Boy was he right. That line not only was around the corner, it was all the way down that street and around another corner too!
So while Larissa and Joel joined the line I ran up the street to Rita's, a frozen custard place I'd heard so much about. After that the wait wasn't so bad with Georgia peach frozen custard in hand. :)
Just as I did a few weeks ago, Larissa got the cannoli and lobster tail because like me, she did her research on the best good Carlos has to offer. Mmmm. So good.
Isn't that such an adorable cake? I wish I had those kind of skills. That would be so fun for a little boy's birthday!
On my way to Rita's I found a little place called The Shannon. Of course I had to get a picture.
While we were wandering around Hoboken we stumbled across an awesome park right along the Hudson River. Locals were sunning on the lawn, riding bikes and walking their dogs so it was the perfect place for us to snap a few pics of the NYC skyline without having to elbow other tourists out of the way. ;)
It was overcast, but still awesome in comparison to previous 90 degree weather.
I could have stayed there all day just watching the sailboats go by.
At the end of the day we hopped back on the train to get back to Ollie.
I couldn't get over how gorgeous the Hoboken train station was. In my opionion it was almost prettier than Grand Central.
Larissa was dying to get into the city, so the next day Jason dropped us at the steps of the American Museum of Natural History- better known as the Night at the Museum location. ;)
Looks a bit different in person huh?
These little cities were so cute. Don't they remind you of the little cities where Owen Wilson and the Romans fight each other?
Apparently they house the world's largest dinosaurs.
Am I lame or does anyone else recognize this part of the museum from one of the dates off last season's Bachelorette? Okay I'm lame I know. ;)
Course we had to see the Easter Island head.
I couldn't believe how many exhibits there were. It was huge! After four hours in the museum we still hadn't seen it all.
Later that day we made our way through Central Park. We stumbled across Cleopatra's Needle, one of three ancient egyptian obelisks in Paris, London and New York.
This guy was painting a picture of the Belvedere Castle in front of him. I think that would be awesome to just pick up your paints and canvas and paint your own rendition of Central Park.
My favorite part of the day, however, was finding this gorgeous lookout of the city. So pretty!!
It was so gorgeous that a bride and groom were using the backdrop for their bridal pictures. Dang I should have waited a few months! ;)
We wandered through Central Park until we reached civilization again. Seriously, Central Park is really a world of its' own. There is so much peace and serenity, yet so active at the same time. We walked right into a full-blown marathon and kick boxing class within five minutes of each other.
We were starving by this point, but when we found the Met we had to get some pictures. Larissa was sure to tell us about how the main characters in Gossip Girl regularly eat their lunch on the steps of the Met. You could tell she was so excited about being there in person.
I wanted so bad to see the Met, especially after learning of their Alexander Mcqueen exhibit. But it closed at 5 and we arrived about 4:35. Dang Central Park and its' ability to get you lost! I was definitely bummed, but Jason keeps reminding me this won't be our last visit to the Big Apple.
Since it was too late for the Met we wandered around to look for food. And lo and behold we found a Shake Shack right down the street! I've only ever seen it in Madison Square Park and Central Park so I definitely didn't expect to see it right in the city, but there it was just like any other food joint with tables and all.
Oh how I miss that place!
After a long day it was time to get home, but the subway stop was on the west side of Central Park so we wandered through for the second time that day.
I didn't mind though. :)
The sun was starting to set and a breeze was blowing through the park. Love those kind of summer days.
Me and the sibs had a good couple of days together. And there are plenty more of those to blog about!
Wow, I'm totally borrowing that Sailing pic-so gorgeous! I wish I was there :) Love the flowers in Central Park.
ReplyDelete