Monday, April 25, 2011

Myrtle Beach


As soon as we rolled into Charlotte two weeks ago, Jason and I found ourselves pretty much homeless. Our apartments were a disaster, and our manager was left scrambling for a plan B. Jason and I have plenty of sites we want to see this summer, so the hubbs and I came up with a plan B ourselves. We needed a hotel until our housing situation could be sorted out, so why not get a hotel with a good view? ;)



A couple hours took us to the shores of Myrtle Beach, a tourist destination I'd never been to before. It was raining buckets, but the forecast promised better weather Sunday so we checked into a beachside Holiday Inn to wait it out. Halfway through Indiana Jones, an emergency report informed us of tornado warnings in Raleigh, just 2.5 hours from our Charlotte apartments. We were determined anything was better than being boarded up in our gross apartments, so we waited for the skies to calm down then we ventured out to explore Myrtle Beach.




Dusk was beautiful. Mist and fog crept away from the city, leaving clear skies in its' wake.








Our hotel was perfect, right along the beach with an incredible view from our room. It reminded me of our honeymoon cruise, the crash of the waves lulling you to sleep at night. Before bed I crept onto our balcony to watch the lightening dance along the black horizon. It was one of those beautiful, calm moments that give you just the right perspective.




As promised, Sunday showed no signs of inclement weather. In fact, we had no idea the intensity of the tornados in Raleigh until my mom called with news of my worried grandmothers. Nope mom, we in Myrtle Beach, and the weather couldn't be better!



Naturally we went straight to the beach. ;)




What a sweet picture of my boys. Ollie had such a good time with his daddy. After they splashed around for a while Jason took him down to the pier. We get stopped so much when we walk him. Everyone wants to pet him or ask about him. Jason says he's our little rockstar.




I love this picture of Ollie. He would run back and forth as the guys tossed a football, trying so hard to catch it himself, although the football could pretty much tackle him. He splashed around in the waves and he went so crazy on the sand we joked he was diggin' to China. However, the next time he went potty, it was a little pile of sand, obviously not what it should have been. Guess he was doing more than digging! :)



Once we were all good and sunburned, we drove off to find Broadway at the Beach. Jason says he loves vacations because the only thing he has to do is drive. I research all the best things to do and put together a plan of attack and carry it out.




Captain Oliver.





One thing on my list to do was to see the upside-down house. I had no idea what it was, or why it was upside-down, but it sounded like a great picture opportunity so why not?




Well, the upside-down house turned out to be really cool. It wasn't a house, but a museum of sorts where you can do all kinds of crazy hands-on things like laying on a bed of nails and stuff. I thought it sounded like a blast, but we couldn't just leave Ollie in the car. It was well into the eighties, so we picked up some yummy ocean waters and got to know Broadway at the Beach- an outdoor shopping area with plenty of tourist shops, good restaurants, movie theater, etc. It reminded me a lot of Downtown Disney in Orlando.




Check out this sand castle made entirely of jelly beans!




One strange thing about Myrtle Beach was the number of mini golf courses they had. Seriously I counted five in just a small stretch of downtown. I haven't played in a loooooong time, but I love mini golf. I would play ever summer with my sister and grandparents at Cherry Hill, so I pretty much got the talent. ;)





This course was by far the coolest of them all. Mini golf is so much more fun when you have a good course to pair with it. Mt Atlanticus had tiki huts, bridges, lakes, caves, animals, etc., and the course goes up as you go so by the time you finish the course you have a great view of the ocean. This mini golf was definitely worth the money.




I won of course. ;)





Even though Jason had to fish my ball out of the lake at one point...




Despite our crappy circumstances, we had a great weekend in Myrtle Beach. Can't wait to see what else NC/SC has to offer us!








No comments:

Post a Comment