Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Moving with the Cheese


Jace and I have been reflecting a lot.

We reflect on work, on friends, on school, on church, on family, on life, on change. We feel like we're moving on to the next stage of our life- graduating to a bigger stage, a better stage. You know those times when you look back on certain stages of life and wonder how you made it through? You wonder how you got there and why you stayed there so long? You realize that now, completely removed from the situation that life is so much brighter on this side of the bridge. That you're so much happier now than then, although in the moment you felt completely content.

I feel that way about a lot of things lately.

I know that I'm happier when I'm doing what's right. And sometimes doing what's right is as simple as attending all three hours of church, even though three hours can be so painful at times. I've just gotta do it. Heavenly Father knows what we can handle right? Well that means He also knows what is difficult for us, which means when He sees us really trying at something that he knows we struggle with so much, He's bound to bless us for our effort and our faith. And that's why I passed my math test on Monday- I'm convinced. Believe me I didn't know my stuff that well. :)

I know I'm happier when I'm going to school. Education is so important to me. Seriously I get a high planning out next semester's classes. I'm literally counting down the days until I can sign up for my excellent spring semester schedule. Only Tuesdays and Thursdays baby! But really, I feel like I'm doing something really important for myself right now. When I was working as an optician a year ago I felt a sense of accomplishment because I was bringing in great paychecks every other week, but it really only felt like material happiness. You know, hitting NY&Co sales on my days off, saving up for vacations with my then-fiance, paying another phone bill, that kind of thing. There wasn't much long-term accomplishment like I feel when I go to school. I'm investing in my future at school. And it feels so good to do so.

I know I'm happier when I'm writing. I've been on the newspaper staff for so long that the year I took off school was so absent of purpose, because the only thing I was writing was my blog. That's probably why I threw myself into it so wholeheartedly! But as a reporter for the SUN News I have so much more purpose. The thing I really love to do and feel like I'm good at doing is more than a hobby, it's a career path, and according to my producer Carson a scholarship opportunity that he said, "you should definitely look into."

Everytime I come into the newsroom he praises my stories. My style, my leads, my interviews- everything. I ran into the professor that edits our articles yesterday and he was such a sweetheart telling me the same kind of stuff Carson does, and with specific examples in my stories. (That's impressive because he reads a lot of stories) As a blue personality it is so important to me to be recognized and appreciated and I feel so valued at SUN News. Then when Carson convinced me to take a camera and start working on video a girl on the staff volunteered her Halloween night to help me learn the ropes. They are so welcoming and so kind to me. What a difference from past newsrooms. I can't even tell you the difference between SUN News and the Dixie Sun (that I spend two years at). I love being a part of SUN News.

I know I'm happier when I'm around friends and family. You don't realize how lonely you are until you return home to the loving arms of those that really care about you. Even in St. G we're around family a lot. My family came down two weekends ago and spent a good amount of time with us, and we've been down to Vegas quite a bit lately. We've been getting to know Ben and Sheridon a lot better too. They'll come stay with us, then we'll go stay with them, whatever is best. You take advantage of those relationships, I decided, until you're so far that a relationship can barely exist. The same is true with friends, and that leads me to my next point.

I know I'm happier in St. George. NC is beautiful and NJ was great, but I am in love with this little town. And it feels more like home now, now that I've started a family and a home of my own. I want to raise kids here. In a smaller town, in a warm town, in a generally safe town. And you can't beat the great housing prices here on gorgeous southwest-style homes. I heard it snowed in northern Utah today. In southern Utah Larissa and I were considering a trip to the pool today. Just sayin. :) I'm happier in St. George.

I know I'm happier with Jason's new job. It has been such a blessing to us. Summer sales jobs are hit or miss for sure, and the summer as a newly married couple just so happened to be the miss. That comes with that line of work and I'm okay with the high-risk those jobs entail, but there are certain things we're not okay with anymore. Luckily we were able to find an option that offers the same benefits for less risk, I guess you could say. It will grant us greater stability, better opportunity and even increased income- exactly what we need for the next stage of our lives. We can sever destructive relationships, take control of our lives and start anew. I see such a difference in him now than what I saw this summer. His fire is back and we attribute that to the recognition and appreciation he's receiving now. He has room to grow and a real voice, that's valued.

We call it moving with the cheese. If you've read the awesome book Who Moved My Cheese? you'd catch my drift. We read it together in NC; it's a tiny little one that's written like a children's book, but with content so inspiring it's won all kinds of awards. Anyways. It's about four little mice that see the world differently. Hem and Haw don't like change. They're comfortable with where they are and how they're doing things that they refuse to see the world any other way. Sniff and Scurry, on the other hand, understand a very important concept- that when the cheese moves, it is critical to move with the cheese. In other words, change isn't a bad thing. It can be a very good thing that eventually leads you to even bigger and better cheese than before. If you're willing to see it.  

I digress.

My point is that I'm happier now, where I'm at. Physically, spiritually, emotionally- all that good stuff. Life's brighter on this side of the bridge and together Jason and I are at a better stage in life. And hopefully over the next few years it will only get better. :)



1 comment:

  1. I love this. This is exactly how Ben and I felt moving back to Arizona this summer. :) Moving on, new stages, new phases, new people...just feels right. I'm glad you guys are there too. :)

    ReplyDelete