Now that I have my computer back I can finally document Christmas, despite the fact that it already feels like spring... :/ Oh well!
Just after Thanksgiving we put up our first Christmas tree. It's a little one, but we dressed it up with plenty of pretties to bring the right amount of Christmas spirit into our desert landscape.
Last year my mom bought these three silvery-white dove ornaments for my first tree. I wasn't so sure about feathery birds, but upon learning that these birds symbolize peace, happiness and good fortune, I decided they couldn't do much harm. :) Plus they fit in really nicely!
I also had a bunch of Z Gallerie candles leftover from the wedding so those went up right away.
One of the many weekends we were in Vegas, Sheridon and I made these ribbon wreaths she found on pinterest. I already had the blue ribbon and the noel sign and since we used pipe liner(?) instead of a wreath form this was a deal of a diy decoration.
Over Thanksgiving my mom helped me make three stockings for my family. She always had gorgeous hand-made stockings for my family growing up so I had to make some for my new family! Linen, satin and sparkly letters made up our stockings. I want to fancy them up a bit for next year, but they turned out pretty nice for our first Christmas.
Vanilla bean-colored for me, caramel for Jace and toffee for Ollie. :)
Mid-December was Becky's baby shower in St. George. I already blogged about this, but those were all Melissa's pictures since my computer was MIA. Here's a few of mine. Had to include a picture of the Nothing Bundt Cake. So good!
After the shower we made a few crafts for our monthly girls night, including this jingle bells frame. Deb provided everything we needed.
A few weekends after that we rode with the Tippetts up to Payson for the Tippetts Family Christmas Party. It was my first time at one, so I quickly got to know all the traditions they have for Christmas.
First matter of business: lunch and birthday celebrations. Happy birthday Wyatt!
Next was the nativity scene. I love the cow costume!!!
Little angels.
After the Christmas party it was back to our house so we could eat together before everyone else continued on to Vegas. Texas Roadhouse to go!
Since John was working on Christmas day, we planned the (much-smaller and not extended family) Tippetts Christmas Party a few days before Christmas Day. Since we didn't have work or school Jace and I drove down to Vegas a little early.
We agreed that we're always in Vegas, but we rarely visit the strip so it was time to play tourist. It was especially interesting to see it all decked out for Christmas.
As much as they try though, it just doesn't feel much like December in Vegas.
The Venetian had this huge Christmas tree with gigantic plastic bubbles all over it.
"Winter in Venice"
So, I'm completely embarrassed to admit this, but I had to check out Kardashian Khaos while we were on the strip. I may or may not have an addiction to this ridiculous reality show.
Next we were off to the Tippetts to celebrate Christmas early!
Deb and I wrapped present after present and John prepared a nice dinner that was interrupted by a surprise visit by Andy via Skype. Apparently he was supposed to call the next day, but the time zone difference probably mixed everyone up.
It was perfect timing though, Andy got to join the family Christmas party clear from Malaysia!
Ben kept the kids busy with another surprise call- this time from Santa!
I got to meet Roger for the first time- Katie's now-fiance from Brazil. I can't wait to see them married in April!
Tradition is that everyone gets pajama pants on Christmas Eve. But since we were a few days early this time, we changed into our new pjs to open presents. Cupcakes for the girls....
And Superman for the boys! Of course they found a way to make their plain white shirts a little more interesting... Typical Tippetts... :)
Lexy and her new Hello Kitty rainboots!
The next day we celebrated Wyatt's birthday with a superhero party. Now that we've all converted to iphones, family gatherings almost always end up like this- everyone playing words with friends with everyone else, and looking completely lame in the process. :)
The kids playing Superman's muscles was completely hysterical.
Wyatt playing the web game.
The birthday boy blowing out his candles. (Picture props to Melissa!)
We all got a good laugh at our black and blue lips and teeth. Jason and Ben put a LOT of food coloring in frosting. :)
After Christmas festivities in Vegas, it was time to head back to St. George for our own Christmas.
We didn't do anything special, but Jace and I decided that we want to begin a tradition of Christmas together, just the two of us. You know, exchanging presents and reading the Christmas story together... just making sure we're developing our own traditions as well as spending time with our families.
We spent a night on the temple grounds, admiring the lights and the little nativity.
The radio was announcing one house that envied that of Clark Griswold's, so we had to check that out. Santa saw us admiring his house from our car so he gave us candy canes and invited us to the driveway where there was hot dogs and hot chocolate waiting. You could even write a letter to Santa if you wanted. Shoot that's some serious Christmas spirit!
Jason and I exchanged presents under our little tree with Christmas tunes blaring in the background. It's different, that's for sure, to have Christmas with your spouse for the first time. No little kids ripping open the paper, instead just Jace and I slowly taking turns to preserve the moment. Different, but special. :)
We drove up to Ogden for the last part of the week, crossing our fingers for a white Christmas. But... it would have looked just as white had we stayed in St. George. But we squeezed in a trip to Zupa's and that alone is reason enough to make the trip. :)
That and Christmas just wouldn't be the same without my mom's beautiful tree.
My mom-in-law has seen it once, and still she comments on how gorgeous it is.
I think it was Christmas Eve we went to see the luminaries at the cemetery. It's been a traditon for as long as I can remember, to drive through in the long line of cars, ever so slowly, listening to quiet tunes of Silent Night or Away in a Manger. It's peaceful and beautiful to see thousands of those white twinkling lights across the beautiful snow dead grass. Jace had never been before, so it was fun to bring him into the tradition.
Christmas Day came and went in a hurry. We opened presents around 7 or so, then went to a special Stake Christmas Program and visited with Grandpa and Grandma Mitchell then Grandpa and Grandma Johnson later that day. We were spoiled this Christmas for sure, and believe me Ollie wasn't left out. My parents bought him present after present, wrapped and everything. Little guy just didn't know what to do! :)
Katie surprised us all with a picture of her new engagement ring! Apparently in Brazil the size of a woman's ring reflects the amount of love he has for he wife, so sweet Roger got Katie a knocker of a diamond. Seriously, he used his life savings. :) Anyways, we're SO excited for Katie and Roger to tie the knot in April.
Soon after Christmas the family followed us back to St. George for a week in the warm.
Oliver didn't last long in our car. He preferred the front seat of the Audi with his paws up in the air. :)
Speaking of Ollie though, he didn't leave my dad's side. They are SUCH good friends. In fact, when it was time for the fam to go back home, Ollie moped around for days, as did my dad I'm sure. :)
I can't even imagine how it will be with grandkids!
We went to the duck pond- one of Ollie's favorite places.
He patrolled the shore, making sure no ducks got up in his territory.
And then we went to Benja's- one of my favorite places. I always get their pad thai, but after trying their panang curry, I'll never go back. IT'S. AMAZING. Mmmm I think I need some right now.
My mom, Larissa and I hit the mall after Christmas, walking out of Bath and Body Works with a small store of products between the three of us. I was stoked to try out all my new finds, but my favorites were my new shea cashmere body cream and a pineapple orchid candle that has currently been my key to bubble bath relaxation at night. (can you tell I'm loving my new photo editing apps?)
Other news on the home front: Ollie's been hanging out. :)
December was a good month for catching up. We hung out with Ben and Sheridon at Panera, Becky and Ben at Olive Garden, we watched the most awful Redbox with Roger and Katie, and Tyler and Melissa had us over for some amazing chicken parmesan. I wish we could do that every month!
Since Becky is so close to her due date, Deb is in town a lot more than usual. So last weekend we hit Tai Pan for some wedding decorations and Cafe Rio. Geeze we've been eating out A LOT!
We had a relaxing New Year's Eve at home. Larissa and I worked on the 500 piece NY Times puzzle I got in D.C. forever ago and still hadn't done and Jace broke out his new Tron dvd. Thank goodness I was preoccupied with other things. ;) That night we went to dinner and a movie with friends, (the New Year's Eve movie of course) and watched the ball drop with plenty of sparkling cider.
First family picture of 2012.
Soon after the new year an Ogden police officer was killed in a fatal drug bust. I didn't know Jared Francom, nor did many others, but I couldn't believe the level of gratitude and humility people had for this man's service. The story was all over the internet, facebook and the news and they held a memorial at the Dee Events Center and a then a funeral procession down Harrison Boulevard, right down the street from my parents house and right past my old job. I wasn't able to go, but I saw many fb pics remembering the life of this fallen officer. It makes me so grateful for the men and women who protect our cities each day (and night).
Also on the news was Dixie State's own Alana Lee who competed in the Miss Dixie pageant with me, won, (picture above) then went on to win Miss Nevada and then compete in Miss America at Planet Hollywood just a few weeks ago. (As well as in a recruiting video for Dixie State on national television)
It was so fun to see her on TV, pursuing her dreams, when she was right beside me in 2009. It reminds me that when you really want something, and you make up your mind to JUST DO IT, you can accomplish anything you want. Go Alana!
Also exciting is Jason's recent relationship with Private Wealth Management in St. George. He's pursuing an internship for financial advising with PWM, a branch of Mass Mutual, and later a career. Blake has been absolutely amazing, including me in the meetings he has with Jason and even giving us free financial advising as a perk of the job. He invited us to the company Christmas party, but we had plans to go to Wyatt's birthday party instead, so when the year-end party came up we were happy to represent the St. George office.
Blake and his wife Raybecca.
I'm so happy for Jace and the amazing opportunities he's received over the last little while. He's worked so hard and I feel like he's really discovering his potential. He said to me the other day, "You know, life is good."
And you know what? I whole-heartedly agree.
:)









No comments:
Post a Comment