Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Our Second Honeymoon- Lake Las Vegas

Last night my mom kindly reminded me that I haven't blogged once all month. Funny... last February I had the same problem. I wonder why.... 

:)



On 02/11/2011 my love and I were married in the House of the Lord for time and all eternity. We had big hopes and dreams for our new family, and we couldn't wait to begin our life together.



The next twelve months went out with a bang, a preview of what I'm sure, is about to come. It was hard- anything worth fighting for always is. So when our one-year anniversary came around, surprisingly fast I might add, it was high time to celebrate.



I'd been playing travel agent clear since November or so, weighing options and researching travel deals. We had big plans at first, but when it came down decision-making time we decided we wanted to pursue a little resort in our very own backyard.


Okay maybe not backyard, but this portion of Paradise was only about two hours away from us. I'd heard great things about Lake Las Vegas, and really, what could be better than water, warmth, shopping and cute little restaurants in one beautiful resort for what we called- our second honeymoon.


Since Jason planned our Caribbean honeymoon last year I decided to take the reigns on our second honeymoon :) and give Ravella a chance. A beautiful Italian-style resort, Ravella was formerly the Ritz-Carlton before the bad economy put it right out of business. Ravella soon took over, and opened its' doors, ironically, on our wedding day.


Funny that we celebrated our one-year on the hotel's exact one-year date.


Lake Las Vegas was quiet and romantic, contrasting completely to the hustle and bustle of the dirty strip. I couldn't believe the relaxing and quiet nature of such a touristy location known for the filming of America's Sweethearts with Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta Jones and nearby mansions owned by Celine Dion herself. With publicity like that I expected it to be just a little bit busier!

But it was a welcome change, and we gladly settled into our room.


Later on we toured The Village, settling for Mexican chimis and a trip to the Chocolate Factory for dessert.



Our white paper bag of goodness fragranced our room with the smell of sweets for days.


We passed by the lake as the sun went down, excited about gondolas and paddleboats, wishing we weren't too late for winter ice skating and guessing who the outdoor stage was prepared for. Later I learned that Andrea Bocelli himself had performed there.




The next day we perused some more, this time exploring what Ravella had to offer.


I can't wait to go back in the baking heat of this summer.

But for now we were satisfied with simple discussions on the edge of the hot tub.



We went into Sin City a few times, straying from our usual go-to spots for new and added excitement.

I guess I should clarify. *Shopping experiences. ;)

Jason looking uncomfortable in Juicy.


Shopping at The District

But then again, we always return to our favorites. Because virgin pina coladas, firecracker shimp, jamaican chicken wings and a delectable chocolate island is exactly what we need.



 




We headed out to Hoover Dam one day, anticipating what the new construction would turn out like.



We hadn't been there for a good three years- right when we'd first begun dating. We took pictures of the beginning stages of the bridge then, and now here it is finished on our anniversary trip. I wish I knew then just what I knew now!


Jace definitely wasn't comfortable with the view, but he acted like a champ, putting up with my picture-taking like no problem.




On the way back into town we bumped into the school basketball court where Jace once taught me shooting techniques. It's always fun to go back to those places, heavy with memories.


Back at the ranch, we found these adorable little condos, cozied right up to the lake. I would love to have one of these for the summer, or shoot I wouldn't mind it all year round!



 





On the day of our anniversary, we slept in and enjoyed a relaxing lunch at Cheesecake- a stark contrast to the rush of our wedding day. It was crucial though, that the anniversary of our temple marriage be of higher importance than dinner dates and sparkling cider at the end of the night.


 

We had the opportunity to do sealings at the Las Vegas temple exactly a year after our own sealing.


Since we were married in my favorite temple, it was only fitting to visit Jason's favorite temple on our anniversary.


What a beautiful reminder it was of the covenants we made together in the House of the Lord.




To celebrate a first-year anniversary, tradition calls for a gift of paper. I'm not incredibly traditional, but since Jason had talked about Del Frisco's for years, I thought it was high time to go already. I got him a gift card, justifying that as a purchase of paper, ;) and we got dressed up to go.


This steakhouse was by far the fanciest I've ever been to. The food was fantastic and the service superb, the only problem being the number of incredible choices to choose from.


Luckily they had a sweetheart deal going on for Valentines that got us both sourdough bread, caesar salads, two sides of mushrooms and chateau potatoes, crab cakes (pictured above, although definitely not my picture) and filet mignon as an entree for each of us. Dessert was fantastic- blueberry cheesecake for Jace and chocolate mousse for me. The best part though, was the cocoa powder they dusted the plate with using the stencil of a crossed fork and knife. Cool.


While I was admiring culinary designs, Jason was loving the handcrafted James Bond table they had on display that boasted a handcarved wine bottle for every Bond movie there is. Only worth a couple million. No big.


 

We had to make another trip to the strip of course, this time investigating Crystals, the newest casino built on the strip of Las Vegas.

 



 

I loved the gigantic crystal hanging from the ceiling, and about three floors tall! Gorgeous!






Love these water tornados. What's the real name for them?




Awesome arrangement of playing cards.



 



Sweet Jace surprised me with a trip to Nordstroms where I picked out a beautiful silver key necklace- his anniversary gift to me. Not that he hadn't already treated me so well!


Back at Ravella we enjoyed our last night and day on our second "honeymoon" vacation.




 

Last year outside our cruise ship...


This year outside our resort.


I definitely want to keep up the tradition of warm anniversary vacations.


 






It was definitely a great couple of days, celebrating the progress and growth of our relationship.


We were sad to go, but even after we got home Jace kept up the magic. I found this on the driver's seat of the car on Valentine's after class.


 
And who can forget the gorgeous Michael Kors Grayson purse Jace gave me as an early Valentine's.

I love it!


In addition to presents and chocolate, we made cupcakes Valentine's night to take to friends and family. Chris and Riss kept us entertained in the kitchen and the boys agreed to take us to The Vow, which couldn't have been better for the most lovey dovey day of the year.

This month I'm feeling so grateful for the kind and thoughtful husband I have. I couldn't be married to anyone better.

:)


1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. He is the best! I'm glad you snatched him up-mom

    ReplyDelete