While I'm on the subject of February vacays, Jace and I took a fabulous little getaway down to Phoenix for the first time together last weekend.
Jace worked in Tempe a few years back, so he was more than thrilled to show me the places he used to frequent back when he was a lonely bachelor. ;)
We did a bit of playing, but as usual it's the simplest things that bring the greatest happiness.
Case in point: ChickfilA chicken oh so missed in little 'ol St. George. It must be a novelty though because they're building one in town, right next to the new Ulta. But until that grand opening we're getting by!
We made new friends in Scottsdale, spending the night at a fun "Western town," checking out candy shops, downing some ribs and panning for gold.
When my birthday came up, we spent the morning at a happy little farmer's market at the Wigwam Resort.
Homemade salsas, freshly grown vegetables, mascarpone cheeses and pretty jars of honey caught our eye, but when I scored authentic-made tamales I was sold. :)
We walked around the resort, promising to come back one day to stay in their cute little villas.
It was hot though, very hot. So we rolled outta there with windows down, and headed to the pool. Can't get better than that!
Over the weekend we made a few trips to the Tempe Marketplace, the most adorable outdoor mall that I quickly fell in love with. Jace and his friends used to take dates there, so he was excited to show his now-wife the outdoor furniture and fireplaces, blaring concerts, huge movie theater and great shopping. Okay maybe not that last part... ;)
ASU has always been on my list of go-to schools, so when we were in the neighborhood we made a little stop to walk around campus and buy our traditional tourist playing cards.
Checking out the Sun Devil Stadium.
Check out the beautiful building behind us. Wish I knew what it was!
Returning to the church Jace went to by ASU.
Call me naive, but I had no idea AZ was so full of oranges! Jason's grandma told me Phoenix always smelled like oranges to her and now I know why. Look at these beautiful orange trees!
For my vacation birthday cake we finally made our trip to Sprinkles! In June we made a trip into NYC to check it out, but movie filming in the city kept us away. :( "We'll go another time," I said.
Who knew I'd make it on my birthday!
Sprinkles was the first cupcake bakery in the U.S., beginning in L.A. and quickly moving to NYC. Some people say Sprinkles began the cupcake epidemic that surged throughout the country. Whatever it was though, I was stoked to go when Derek and Tianna (okay pretty much just Tianna, hahah) suggested we hit the Scottsdale location.
Sweet Jace made sure to top my vanilla on vanilla cupcake with a pink candle, and he performed a stirring rendition of Happy Birthday right outside the bakery. Thanks babe!
And let me just take a minute to rave about their sprinkles! Seriously though, the best sprinkles I've ever had are at Sprinkles! Ironic eh? ;) I think I'll have to be visiting the Vegas location sometime in the near future.
The final day of our trip we met up with my lovely cousin Leanne and her sweet baby Anilee! I had never been to AZ to visit her so it was about time we met up outside of a family reunion.
Cute Anilee was quite steady on her legs!
We hit up Olive Garden soup and salads to catch up and make future visiting plans. I wish we'd gotten together more when she lived in Provo, I had a great time with her. Love ya Leanne!
:)
I'm loving our mini vacations lately. It's always a good time getting to know my hubby better on the roadtrips we take as well as making new friendships and appreciating old ones. Keep em comin' keep em' comin!





No comments:
Post a Comment