Saturday, March 10, 2012

Thoughts on March 10th

I don't want to do anything today. Seriously, nothing. It may be the fact that the husband is out of town and I'm hopelessly depressed, (not really) or maybe it's the fact that I slept seamlessly from 11:30-11:30, (don't know how that happened). Or maybe it's just that today is the first official day of spring break and my body is taking full advantage of it. Who knows.



  • Riss and I spent a good three hours at the pool today doing whatchu do best on spring break- catching some rays. It was interesting the entertainment we got- first from three college girls and later nine mommys. The college girls were decked out in string bikinis- spritzing on the tanning lotion and reminiscing on the seemingly-rockin' party they had last night heavy with drugs and alcohol. The mommys, just 20 feet away and obviously on a weekend vacation- were very different. These ladies sported modest tankinis and baseball caps, lathered themselves in sunscreen and reassured each other of their post-baby bodies in between incoming calls from the husband and/or kids simultaneously. It was quite entertaining actually, to observe how entirely different each culture was, despite the fact that the two parties were probably less than 10 years apart. It's also funny that I was right smack between them, both physically and relationally. (Does that even make sense?) I'm a college student, but I'm also a wife. I don't party, but I also don't have kids. I can relate to both cultures and yet I'm not really living either of them. No grand conclusion, just random observations I find interesting for some reason.

  • So my awesome mother in law got me an Ulta gift card for my birthday party and I'm dying to go pick up a new Chi with it. I've never been able to justify paying 100+ for a flat iron that I'll likely drop a few times and/or coat in heavy hairspray and product, but after using my old roommate's Chi, uh... like every day after she'd leave for school... I fell in love. And since my gift card will pay for most of it, it's totally worth it right? K where's that 20% off coupon when I need it...

  • You know as much as I hate to admit it, I love school. I'm a to-do list girl, and nothing gets me more excited than turning in another paper and/or finishing another test. Lame I know, but it must have something to do with that feeling of accomplishment. It rules me. I love going down a syllabus, crossing things off as I go and counting down the days until I can cross that class off my graduation requirements, or shoot just crossing "college degree" off my list of personal requirements. Feel free to judge. But really, it made my Monday when I found out I got a 70/70 on my first exam in Lying and Deception. It was mid-terms and I was slammed, so I went into that test already feeling like a failure because I hadn't studied as much as I had expected from my overachieving self. But when I got that test back from one of the most failed professors in the department with a winning grade on it, I was ecstatic for a week. I still am, especially after Dr. Wignall announced that a good 5+ students in our class cheated during the exam, despite our previous lecture about uh... lying. Idiots. Oh well, though, makes me feel better about myself. ;) Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'll be the only person ever to do homework on spring break. I may be ridiculous, but when the husband's not around I don't really know what to do with myself. Plus I'd much rather do my think piece, case response and research my final paper topic now at my own convenience and pleasure than at the end of the semester when everything else is due and my head's about to pop off. Saavy?

  • On another school-related topic, this intercultural class I'm taking is really getting to me. In ethics we were going over our chapter about diversity and the two classes made me realize how grateful I am to experience the many cultures that I have. Jace and I are having that exciting conversation again about the future of our summer, and this time we get to choose just how far from home we want to go. I won't spill the beans, but if all goes well the next seven days we just might have a city in mind. And as much as I love school, I can't wait for summer to arrive so that I can experience yet another new culture in all it's glory, this time with a much smarter plan than last time. ;)

  • Hmm you know what'd be another great way to start off spring break? A trip to Krave for their georgia peach, pineapple dolewhip and strawberry daquiri froyo. Mmmm I'm obsessed with this stuff. I usually don't top it with anything since the three flavors are good enough by themselves, but when my friend Leana and I went last week the lady in front of us recommended the poppers which honestly look like big yellow fish eggs. Lean had to convince me to try them and when I finally did I decided no peach, dolewhip and daquiri froyo should be complete with out them. Think it'd be acceptable to go out with no bra, no makeup and my hair still wet? Mmm maybe not. I guess I should probably get ready since it's nearly six. Oh but speaking of time...

  • Is anyone else as thrilled as I am about daylight savings time?? Really, this is the best time of the year! This moment of changing our clocks back opens the floodgates of summer and the time suddenly speeds up until a new school year is all of a sudden upon us. Daylight savings should be a holiday where we break out our grills and ring in the summer like new year. Seriously.


Anyways, this portion of "Thoughts on March 10th" is brought to you by a lazy day of pure inactivity.


Now where's my hairbrush, I'm goin' out to Krave.

No comments:

Post a Comment