Monday, January 14, 2013

Grateful, naturally


Oh November. You seem so far away! I'm determined to catch up on all our recent happenings though, so I'm turnin' back the clock!


 If we're talkin' bout November we have to cover the election of course. For MONTHS J was eating, sleeping and breathing the election. It's all him and his brothers could talk about, and consequently I learned far more about politics than I ever could have wished for.

In all seriousness though, I've never felt so passionate about a presidential candidate. And that's not just because Romney is LDS either. I read a fabulous article (dang it now I can't remember the source) where the author said that Romney's faith grabbed our attention, but it was his heart that kept us rooting for him. I've heard so many stories of his generosity, his kindness and his genuine love for others, and it just can't help but show! J and I commented multiple times as we followed his campaign on how absolutely enamored Ann was with Mitt. I can't think of a better couple to introduce the world to the LDS culture.


When Nov. 5 arrived I was weirdly glum. Amidst hopeful conversation and excited news banter that Romney would pull ahead, I think I always knew he wouldn't make it. In the last days wicked leaders will lead us and men's hearts will fail them right? Romney just doesn't fit that mold. As much as we could use Romney's wisdom, faith and example in the White House right now, it just wasn't meant to happen. Deep down, I'm almost glad that he didn't make it too. (Wow that feels wierd coming out of my mouth fingertips). Can you imagine the absolute scrutiny the church would undergo? Our beliefs, our symbolism and our covenants have already been mocked and scrutinized, but if Romney had become president I'm sure it would have been 100 times worse. I couldn't bear to see that!

Anyways, I don't mean to preach or debate in this forum, but I do want to record my thoughts about such a monumental moment in history. The first LDS Presidential candidate- how cool is that? We live in such an amazing, yet challenging time and it's more important than ever to remember that Heavenly Father knows what he's doing. I know that Romney's defeat was all a part of His eternal plan. Everything happens for a reason.


Phew now that that's over we can move on to Thanksgiving! This turkey day J and I were all traveled out. Jason was doing lots of work trips and I was sooo busy with school we decided going out of town just wasn't going to happen this year. I told my mom we were just going to stay put and if anyone wanted to join that'd be great, but we didn't expect them too. Well...I guess I should have expected them to because, duh, this grandpa misses his grandpup!




The fam came down from Ogden and mom helped me prepare my first 'real' Thanksgiving dinner.


J even carved his first Turkey.




This year I was determined to make the pies my babies, so I took two of the Tippetts family pie recipes and tried them out. I was so proud whipping up my chocolate and coconut creams, but unfortunately this year was (definitely) not my year. Sigh... maybe one day I'll get cooking down. :/

Luckily Becky made the same chocolate cream pie (from the same doggone recipe) and hers turned out uh...not soupy...so we had one pie turn out!




I hate to be all emotional and cliche, but being Thanksgiving and all I was really reflecting on what I was thankful for. J and I had such a good year that it's hard to not identify all our blessings, but this year I've been feeling particularly grateful for my husband. I forget how lucky I am to have an eternal relationship that I have the opportunity to build.  It's a blessing, really, to have that opportunity, and lately I feel like it's such a blessing to have J in my life. I'm a lucky girl. :)



After turkey and the works Jason, mom, Pres and I took a little hike to work off all that food. Ollie pulled ahead like the little guide dog he is and we chugged along behind him.




Pres, J and mom looking for fossils. I was convinced they'd be looking for days, but right before we headed back Pres spotted one.






Later that night we had to do some Black Friday shopping of course. J and I create our movie collection by Black Friday deals alone, so we had to hit the Target! After that it was on to the outlets and then Riss and I braved Ulta at midnight, waiting in line a full hour for our discounted deals.



Thanksgiving was so warm in St. G that we were literally eating meals outside during the weekend, so we were definitely in need of some Christmas decor to get in the mood for the next season. Pres helped Jace set up the tree, and my mom helped me place my decorations around the house. Man I wish she could do that for me every holiday!




Speaking of my awesome mom did I mention her tradional rolls on Thanksgiving? Amazing! She made our whole meal, asking me the whole time, "where's your plastic whisk?" "Do you have a gravy boat?" "I can't find your pie server." Uh yeah, to say the least I realized how unequipped I am in the kitchen. (Both in tools and skills!) When J and I were packing up from Christmas to come back to St. George I found a bag full of new kitchen supplies she had snuck into my stuff. Surprise! All the missing objects I need to make Thanksgiving dinner next year. Don't I have the most thoughtful mom ever?


After the family left Ollie felt he needed to help me with the Christmas ornaments. Ahem...by stowing and eating them under the couch! Don't worry, they're plastic. :) Silly puppy, ornaments aren't for dogs!






Right after Thanksgiving, my beautiful niece Scarlett was born. This brazilian babe had an impact on me as soon as she was born. I know it sounds strange, but I kept telling J- wow I've never felt a connection to a baby like this before. Maybe it was the fact that she doesn't scream and scream and scream like most babies do. I could get used to that real quick!

Speaking of quick, you'd better believe I got going on Katie's shower invites after that. Uh...nothing like having a baby born to get your butt going on the invites! I was pretty pleased with these bad boys. Can't WAIT to get Adobe Illustrator so I can start designing for real. Cough cough... birthday!! ;)






After Thanksgiving it was back to real life, where finals snuck up real quick. I had plenty of study sessions at school, and when I wasn't holed up in the library or taking long tests, I was either at work or at the DOVE Center finishing up the financial report I was compiling for my capstone for the past four months. Oh man am I glad that's over. That 16-page book took a lot of research, effort and patience before I printed 500 copies, stapled, addressed and mailed them out to donors, city council members and board of directors. It was a lot of hard work, but it was a great experience. If anything, it gave me some serious, first-hand knowledge of oh how good I have it being married to Jace. 

Maybe that's why I'm feeling extra grateful for him lately. Many many many women suffer from domestic and/or sexual abuse, and it makes you realize not only how many crummy guys there are out there, but also how lucky you are if you've managed to snag a good one. Thanks babe! :)




Once all them school obligations were finished it started to feel a lot more like Christmas. We headed downtown one night to see the lights, and we were the only one in the park. (Uh..except for the creepy guy sitting all alone at one of the tables) We probably creeped him out though when we started fishing in the sewer for Ollie's dropped ball. Yeah that was interesting. :)






Guess what, we even got snow!


Before we headed to Ogden for Christmas with my family, and post Christmas in Colorado with Jason's family, I met Leana for early present opening at Pizza Factory. Girl got me an Ulta gift card! What a friend right?! :)  Since J and I are trying to develop traditions of our own, we opened presents early again this year, sitting 'under' the tree, listening to our Xmas tunes and trying on and trying out our new gifts.




Soon we were packing up and heading out to colder territory to celebrate Christmas and ring in the new year. More to come on that!




No comments:

Post a Comment