Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Happily Ever After Story...



As I sped down the highway to the airport, a glimpse of a Delta-labled plane gliding to the ground almost sent me into a fit of tears. The words of a friend flew into my mind. "Have you ever missed him so much you cried when you saw him?"

I brushed the thoughts from my head, chalking it up to the sappy song that was crooning over the radio. I guess I'm just not that schmaltzy girl who fantisizes over cliche romantic moments. In fact, Jason's accused me of being as romantic as a board of wood on more than one occasion. "I can be romantic," I say. But to me, true romance is completely natural. Unforced, unrehearsed and usually, quite uncommon. I realize that put a whole lot of pressure on my now-fiance to execute the ultimate pefectly-performed, romantic yet uncliche and beautiful but natural wedding proposal.

But he was smooth as butter all of Labor Day weekend, accompanying me to chick flicks, following me on an hour-long trip to "peruse" the racks of Forever 21, feeding me tuxedo mousse cake and surprising me with a fully topped off tank of gas. After almost two years of dating, a lot of ups and downs and a thousand crazy moments spent side by side, I should have seen it coming. But I didn't. I was completely and utterly, surprised.

Our plan was to find a ring over the weekend. We had tried to Skype shop, sending each other website links with possible rings. But that doesn't go very far. At the beginning of August Jason saw a beautiful Leo diamond at Kay Jewelers and he knew it was the one. At the end of August, I stumbled across that same ring in a Kay catalogue. Jason didn't know until I sent him a link, that I had just fallen in love with the very ring he had purchased.
So when Jason wasn't particularly enthused about jewelry shop hopping, I felt cheated. We visited a corner of jewelry stores in the mall, but I wasn't finding anything up to par with the catalogue ring that no Kay Jeweler actually stocked. At one point Jason looked up at me and asked in his concerned tone what was the matter. He knew before I did, that I was frustrated and disappointed that we hadn't found 'the' ring. But he wasn't concerned. He knew we didn't have to look, that he had brought the exact ring I wanted to Utah, where it would soon be mine.



He's pretty good at surprises.


On a particularly difficult registering day at WSU a few weeks ago, I returned to work with an empty pocket, a thousand transfer-related questions and a throat choking back tears. But my day quickly brightened when a delivery man appeared at the office, peeking behind an enormous vase of red roses. Sadly, the card didn't have to be checked. The girls at the office knew whose man was behind such a sweet action.
I wish I could say I had faith that Jason wouldn't disappoint when it came to a surprise proposal. But just like a little girl anticipating presents at Christmas, I knew a proposal was coming. I was terrified I would stumble across the surprise and therefore have no other choice but to feign shock.

Like I said, he's always been good at surprises. But at one point... he slipped.

Talking on the phone, as we do multiple times a day, we brainstormed excuses to feed Jason's manager in order to grant him a weekend trip to Utah. Emergencies, funerals, and family reunions didn't make the cut, so Jason suggested, "Why don't we just tell him I'm coming out there to propose and for us to begin wedding plans?"

As soon as the words left his mouth in Jersey and zipped on to Utah, he realized his mistake.

On my end: silence.

"But that would be lying," I protested. "Yeah you're right," he breathed a sigh of relief at my innocent ignorance.

I bet you can guess what excuse brought Jason across the country to my awaiting arms. I didn't cry of course, but I was feeling especially grateful for a boyfriend that would spend nearly $400 to spend four days in my presence. Little did I know that he spent a whole lot more than that for a whole lot bigger weekend than I expected!
Sunday, Jason was content helping me with exactly what makes me happy. With my jeans turning white from dust, and his hands getting sore from sanding, we worked on a dining set of table and chairs that I secretly hoped would be sit in a home of our own one day. In between the roar of my electric sander and the silence of a gorgeous Sunday afternoon, he disturbed the peace with a surprising statement.
"I want to ask your dad for permission to marry you."

I guess I expected that. Jason is very respectful and I'm very traditional, resulting in the need for a classic talk with the bride's father before larger steps can be taken. Silence. I changed the subject, started up the sander, and ignored his statement hanging stifly in the autumn air. I wished he could take it back- I didn't want to know that secretive piece of information.
It was like barging into the room where mom is wrapping Christmas presents, and she is too stunned to hide the now-completely exposed gift. Too late, I had seen the surprise. But Jason was nervous, more nervous than I've ever seen him. Unlike every other guy I've dated, Jason has never been nervous to converse with my dad. But in this critical of a moment, frankly I didn't blame him.

I went on to reassure that he didn't have to ask my dad now, no rush, think about it, do it in a month, whatever. Typical me. Right on cue, my dad came out of the house football in hand and hoping for a game of catch. He's very amicable, Jason. Never before have I seen my dad or brothers so eager to earn a moment of my boyfriend's time. My mom swoons over him, and my sister secretly looks up to him. Course I don't blame them. In the short weekend he spent with me and my family, he accompanied my parents on a drive and hiking trip, played Mario Brothers with Joel, talked boys with Larissa, and shot baskets with Preston.

So when Jason asked Curtis Johnson for his first daughter's hand in marriage, did dad have much of a choice? Who better than Jason to fit in with my family, provide me a ring and a home, and love and cherish me forever? Their talk must have gone well, because the very next day an expensive piece of jewelry lay hidden in my very own car, awaiting the surprise of a lifetime.



On Labor Day 2010, Jason and I stood in front of the fountains at Ogden's Union Station. "Hypothetically if I asked you to marry me today, when would we get married?" I didn't have an answer for Jason, and I squirmed out of a response. I don't like hypothetical. In fact, he's been trying to get me to estimate a day for months now, along with what colors, what location, what kind of honeymoon, and a dozen other wedding-related questions.
But I didn't want to be premature. Maybe I'm superstitious? Perusing wedding blogs, researching photographers and observing white dresses has been my favorite pasttime lately, but I felt ashamed every time, feeling as if my actions were premature and uncalled for. Almost as if I were pathetically hopeful, but terribly scared of disappointment.

But Jason's always been good at surprises, and little did I know a proposal was mere hours away.
As we discussed Monday dinner options, Jason said he wanted to go somewhere somewhat fancy with a nice atmosphere. My dad suggested The Timbermine or Prarie Schooner for atmosphere-related options, but I voted Teppanyaki or our favorite choice of Outback Steakhouse.
We settled on Teppanyaki, and I changed outfits six or seven times in combinations of chandelier earrings, shiny heels, sleek dresses and sparkly blouses. Fed up with decisions, I settled on my favorite jeans, a comfortable tank top discovered in my sister's drawer, and a little gray sweater. With my hair pulled back, simple earrings and little makeup, I definitely didn't feel fancy, but I was happy in my new trench jacket, and Jason gave his approval. Good enough for me.


In between bites of sushi rolls, medium-rare filet mignon, hot fried rice, delicious terriyaki chicken and freshly grilled vegetables I noticed Jason's lack of conversation. I did my best to encourage talk in order to drown out the irritating woman to my left, but Jace was distracted. I figured Ms. Panama Canal had captured his attention with her overly-loud stories, and my irritation heightened. He left to retrieve his "wallet" from my car, and later to the bathroom, (later I learned to give himself a quick pep talk) Despite our company, our teppanyaki chef was incredible, the food was to die for, and dinner came and went.



Following dinner I retreated to the bathroom to fix my hair. Little did I know the next time I'd see myself I'd be an engaged woman. :) When I left the bathroom, Jason was nowhere to be found, but I noticed the purse I'd left with him sitting on a table near the front door. I wandered around to find him near the sushi bar, and he tripped over a few chairs when he saw me. I chastised him for leaving my wallet, keys, phone, lipgloss...basically all my valuables in plain sight for thieves. But the restaurant was empty, and he didn't say a word. As I snatched up my purse from the table, a small black velvet box lay in its' place.

My jaw must have dropped. I stood there probably sweating profusely, and grasping for words. "What is THAT?" I said accusingly. Like I said, I'm not very romantic. Jason simply stood there, urging me to open it. I must have repeated myself once or twice, somehow expecting him to just tell me what it was in order to stifle my shock. Finally I worked up the courage to crack open the box just an inch, and peek inside. And there it was, the most perfect diamond ring sparkling back at me.
That was it. That's all it took. Two years worth of love and happiness flashed across my mind, and a waterfall of tears burst out of my eyes like a flood. Somehow I ushered him out the front doors and onto the front porch, where the kimono-clad hostess wasn't grinning at us. The flood flowing down my face was nowhere near stopping, and I couldn't say how long we stood there, hugging, kissing, and as for me, crying like there was no tomorrow.
I realized my dreams of fantasy weddings, prince charmings and happily ever afters were over. They weren't dreams anymore. They were suddenly reality. As I looked into the eyes of my greatest love, I couldn't help but cry. Once again my friends' words crept into my mind. "Have you ever missed him so much you cried when you saw him?" In that night on the steps of a restaurant in Layton, Utah, I realized I didn't want to be away from Jason anymore. I didn't want a future of uncertainty anymore. I knew I loved him, and I knew I wanted to be with him, and that was all. No falling stars, no planets aligning, no sign from the heavens. To me this was completely romantic, and exactly what I hoped for.

He didn't get down on one knee. As the romantic he is, I fully expected him to do it, but I prayed he wouldn't. And he didn't. He stood there holding me in his arms. Somewhere in there he asked if I'd marry him, and somewhere in there I must have said yes. I also blurted out in a babble of tears that I'm SO glad we didn't go to the Prarie Schooner! Getting engaged in a covered wagon was definitely not what I had in mind. Haha. After what seemed a long time, we went to my car, and called up family and friends on the drive back to my house. My mom wasn't surprised in the least, and my siblings were thrilled to welcome Jason as a new brother.

I couldn't get enough of my my new ring, taking picture after picture of the incredible diamonds that now graced my finger. Alone, he told me he didn't go into debt for it. He bought it for me outright, and I knew what that meant. Jason sells security systems, and that means he is out knocking doors day after day in 100 degree weather to people with no respect and no manners.
From May to September Jason told me he was working for us. I was his motivation day after day. He knew his hard work would buy my diamond, pay for a wedding and rent an apartment for us to begin a life together.
The waterworks almost started up again. Jason knew very well that I didn't want to go into debt for a diamond. I'd rather he buy a tiny little solitaire than finance a honker of a rock. But he worked day after day to pay cash for a diamond that he wanted me to love. And I do. But more importantly, I love that the man I will marry would do that much, just to make me happy.


24 hours later Jason was back in New Jersey and I returned to my homework, just like nothing had happened. But EVERYTHING was different now. After this final month of work, he will never go out to work in the summers again without me. This time when he returns home we can determine the details that will launch the beginning of the rest of our lives.

So will I cry the next time I see him? Probably. Who would have guessed? But what can I say... Jason's always been good at surprises.




:)

5 comments:

  1. Shannon you are such a great writer!! :) I felt as though I was watching it on TV or something! You guys are perfect for each other....congratulations! have you decided on a date yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful story! I am so happy for you two, can't wait to be there when you get sealed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable! I'm so excited for you. We HAVE to get together soon and talk. Jason and Clint need to go out in the same company and same group next year. How awesome would that be? We can be alarm wives together haha. love you girl, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congradulations Shan! You two are great for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! I got teary-eyed just reading this! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! When IS the big day, anyway???? Two weeks? hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete