Sunday, September 26, 2010

Small, (and much needed) reminders.


Last night my mom and I had the opportunity to watch the annual Relief Society Broadcast at the Stake Center. How grateful I am for the chance to hear the guidance and direction of our church leaders. At these meetings especially, I walk away feeling SO uplifted and inspired.


What a wonderful thing it is, to be able to partake of the teachings of our prophets. What a wonderful thing, that the teachings of the prophet is so readily available to us. My family is blessed to have a ward building less than five minutes away, a temple within view, and the Ensign, New Era and Friend delivered each month to our home. That in itself, is a tremendous blessing.


In Relief Society today I was thinking how amazing it is to have the gospel in plenty. We have many opportunities to increase our faith, through Relief Society, Priesthood, Sunday School, Sacrament Meeting, visiting teaching, home teaching, Relief Society meetings, temple night, institute and Family Home Evenings.


I know that if I am not reminded of something constantly, it is a matter of time before it slips from my mind. The alarm on my phone reminds me each morning of the responsiblity of a full-time job. Post-its and voicemails remind me of calls I to return at the office. Planners and syllabus' remind me of deadlines for papers and tests. Bills remind me that payments are to be strictly met and followed. If it weren't for these reminders, I may just forget what needs to be done, and consequences would quickly follow.


That makes me all the more grateful for Sunday, for Monday nights, for institute, and General Conference. These meetings, in addition to the ones mentioned above, are reminders to continually do better. Without this guidance, faith could diminish, resolve would fade, and testimonys would melt away. I need constant reminders of an eternal perspective. I need constant reminders of my duty as a woman, and as a member of this church. I need constant reminders of His love for me and his children. I need constant reminders of repentance and forgiveness.


In a world where our lives are wrapped in the mentality of rush rush rush, I love that we have multiple opportunities to be reminded of the beauty of the gospel. These opportunities fill us with the sustaining love of Christ, and a renewed sense of hope. Priorities are set straight, and we can begin again, better than ever before.


Today I am very grateful for the blessing of those small reminders that have the ability to keep me on the straight and narrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment