Could there be a better weekend?
Before Halloween creeps upon us, I have to acknowledge the incredible time I had in Las Vegas last weekend.
When Jace and I lived in St. George, spending time with his family was a pretty frequent thing. We would make the drive to Vegas for birthdays, holidays or Sundays to eat, visit and play together. I always liked those trips. My family was a rough 5 hours away, so having Jason's family in near proximity was a comfort to me I think. It soothed my homesickness, spending breezy Sundays at Tippetts family get-togethers.
It's funny that I'm only now becoming an official part of their family. From our original meeting at Disneyland two years ago, I have always felt effortlessly accepted.
It is such a blessing to marry into such a warm and welcoming family. Their unwavering love and support is more than I could ask for. So after a near six-month absence, it was high-time I made a trip to Vegas.
My almost mother in law Debbie got everyone together for family pictures on Saturday, kindly rescheduling the photographer so that I could make it after my quick morning shift and even quicker flight to McCarran. We met at a lovely little park in the warm Nevada sunshine; a stark constrast to the snow-threatening skies I left in my dust.
"I felt so loved," I later told Jason. We arrived at the park fresh from the airport, late and probably sweaty. But my amazing almost-sister in law Katie ran towards me, dousing me in hugs and compliments. My almost-brother in law Ben asked me how I was doing and what I was up to; mere small talk that would normally draw no attention, but it meant a lot to me. You see, I always leave the Tippetts feeling like a superstar. They are intriqued, involved and interested, and that immediately makes me feel relaxed and accepted.
Following pictures, we retreated back to the Debbie and Johns' for dinner. I used that as the opportune time to present my "Will you be my bridesmaid?" gifts to my sisters in law. I have spent a lot of time thinking about what it means to be a bridesmaid or maid of honor or best man, and I knew that Becky, Sheridon, Melissa and Katie would not disappoint. I want women who know me and love me. Women who are supportive and willing to help in stressful wedding plans. Women who will be by my side not only on the happiest day of my life, but also for years to come.
They immediately reminded me why I picked them; sitting around me to ask question after question, peeking at snippets of wedding pictures here and there, discussing ideas and exchanging thoughts. The very next day I found Katie, Becky, Melissa Sheridon and Debbie all by my side as I tried on dress after poofy wedding dress. I am SO grateful for them! Each of them have husbands, kids, school or work to attend to, but they put aside their obligations to spend their Monday afternoon with me.
Becky was in Vegas Saturday for pictures, but she had to drive back to St. George to work the next day. Monday she not only gave away her shift and probably missed school, but she also spent money to ride the shuttle back down to Vegas. I couldn't ask for better sisters!
Since Sheridon has always wanted to go to Tuacahn, Ben, Sheridon, Jace and I went up to St. George to see Thriller, perfect to get us in the Halloween spirit. Neither Sheridon or I had been to Tuacahn before so it was great to finally experience a show in the beautiful Snow Canyon. It was FREEZING, and honestly the show was bizarre, but it was great to spend time with Ben and Sheridon. Later, Jace and I talked about how we hope to be just like them when we are married. They have a home built on the gospel and their actions reflect their love for each other. What a refreshing role model to have in this day and age.
Tuesday Melissa and Katie were at it again, taking me to the bridal shop they bought their own wedding dresses at. They snapped pictures, offered opinions and laced me up when needs be. But after 7 or 8 dresses were tried and I wasn't particularly ecstatic, they told me not worry- I'll know when I find The One.
Jason and I spent my last night in town at our favorite restaurant with a good friend and his date. Over the firecracker shrimp and pina coladas I could see that Jace was bummed about me leaving. It was a short weekend, and we'd soon be back to long distance. Even though he'd be driving up to Utah for Halloween, it's difficult to be apart for any amount of time. Oh how easy it would be to purposely "miss" my flight, call in sick to work, and bypass my sociology paper and test. But I boarded that plane, unable to. be anything less than responsible for once in my life.
Once my weekend of fun was over and I was on my way back to real life, I reflected on all the ways the Tippetts have extended their love to me. Oh how blessed I am to become a part of their family.
We love you to pieces!! I have considered you a sister for a while and I am thrilled you are making it official. Loved, loved, loved spending time with you that weekend. Can't wait to do it again!
ReplyDeleteYou are the best Shannon! We are the lucky ones. This is the best family there is. We are always here if you need anything. See you soon.
ReplyDelete