Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Content with Commencement

Oh graduation... Usually a rewarding and satisfying rite of passage. 

Unfortunately, my story was a bit different.

You see, I graduated high school with twelve college credits from numerous nearby Universities. Besides the long hours and tough tests I was proud of myself because twelve credits is about a semester's worth of classes, and I figured this extra dedication in high school would allow me to graduate college even quicker than the average student. A whole semester quicker. 

I was also very dedicated to my major, a fact I was proud of considering the handful of people I knew who got caught up in years of extra college time due to a hasty decision early on. I was determined to follow print journ to the end, and graduate with a degree in 2012.

But as the Rolling Stones say, "You can't always get what you want..."


Excited to learn about communications I jumped right into my lower division credits, skipping the obligatory general eds for more exciting (and harder) classes. This went well until the end of my sophomore year when everyone my age was gaining their Associates and I was yet to pass geology- or so I thought. Sadly I could have received my Associates in 2010, but I was a little off on my grad requirements. Apparently a C- is passing. Oops.


So with Jason doing sales in NJ and my missionary home from Spain, I moved back home for the summer. I intended to return to DSC in the Fall, but the allure of a $10 an hour paying job and Jason still in Jersey kept me around O-Town. I gave WSU a shot and soon started planning a wedding- a feat I couldn't have pulled off from St. G.


Despite previous plans, I took off a total of one whole year of school. Now for a girl that views planning as everything, I was crushed to have strayed from my goal. In my absence Dixie State added two more classes to the graduation requirements of an Associates, so my junior year was a ridiculous mix of upper division hard stuff and general ed retarded stuff like color wheel coloring and geology lab.

Also during my absence I realized that as much as I love print journalism, a broader more accommodating focus such as Human Communication would better suit my purpose. But with almost all of my lower divisions completed in journalism I felt as if I were starting from square one all over again (a feeling we blue personalities absolutely despise). Luckily for me, however, those credits were applied as electives and I wasn't set back much more with or without the change of majors. I felt pathetic. Everything I'd planned for and worked so hard towards was just blowing up in my face. Why hadn't I taken the natural course of general eds to lower divisions and lower divisions to higher divisions before graduation??


At the conclusion of the 2011-2012 school year my sister was graduating with her Associates, only one year after high school graduation. Once again I felt a failure, that I'd been working for three years on the thing she'd accomplished in one. Friends from high school were graduating with Bachelors and already anticipating the next stage in life- careers, relocation and grad school... it all sounded so lovely, but unrealistic for me just yet.

I was embarrassed to fall behind and ashamed to be going so slow, but since Larissa, Jason and I were all ready to claim our Associates I decided it would be fun to do together, especially since Jace needs to be recognized the second he gets his. ;) At the last minute, however, both Riss and Jace fell short in their requirements. Jace was missing a class, Riss was failing hers. I was the only one ready to go, but I definitely didn't want to go through all the hoopla, especially if there was no one there to poke fun along with me! My $35 fee was nonrefundable though and DSC made a deal with Riss so she could walk during her last semester here. She was so excited! She kept saying, "I can't believe I'm graduating, I'm so glad to get my degree!" and I'd have to stop myself from saying, "It's only an Associates, let me know when you have a Bachelors..."  I was bitter, but I bit my tongue.



You see, in those few weeks leading up to graduation I realized just how monumental an Associates Degree can be.



When I looked around I realized that people work really hard for that piece of parchment.

I saw it in the 40+ year old woman who stood in the line nearby, her husband adjusting her cap with a gaze so full of pride I thought I might cry. I see it in my friend Christian (pictured to the right of the guy in the middle) who went to school a whole seven years, retaking class after class to earn that degree. I see it in my sister in law and mother in law who wish so badly they'd walked across that stage because they have heavy doubts they'll ever make it back. I see it in my own husband- who struggles and struggles through classes others call easy and stupid.


And my dad... I never knew that it took my dad eleven years to get his Bachelor's Degree. Even with two kids, limited financial options and a full-time job, HE MADE IT. And boy I couldn't be prouder. 

With better perspective, I donned my cap and walked in a line of academic friends and family to graduation. But when I saw a tunnel of professors, instructors, facilitators and faculty applauding and congratulating our efforts, I was enveloped in a feeling of love and peace.



As the 101st graduating class of Dixie State College walked into the arena, we were greeted by loved ones and the tune of Pomp and Circumstance.



As jealous that I was that my sister had "beat me to the punchline," she'll never understand how truly proud I am of her hard work and efforts. Seriously Riss- physiology???

;)





Following my baby sister, I walked through the D to the sound of Shannon Tippetts (and they actually said it right!). It's not the name I expected to have on my diploma, but I'm learning to accept the idea of change and adaptability. In fact now that I think about it, my ultimate goal was to graduate in 2012 and I'm pretty sure I well... graduated in 2012! :D






Following commencement my dad suggested Larissa and I attend the graduate luncheon, and later he'd take us out for dinner. "Go have fun," he said. "You deserve it." 

Only now, as I sit in a quiet apartment outside Chicago with tears tickling my eyes do I realize just how much those words mean to me. Thanks dad. Although we don't say it, I know he's proud of me.

...even if it did take me three years to get an Associates. ;)




"You can't always get what you want...

...but if you try sometime, you just might find you get what you need."



2 comments:

  1. I'm crying- my favorite post from you of all time. You hit the ball out of the park with the way you portray the feelings SO many of us have out there. Thanks for sharing your story and just so you know- I am still a math class away from my associates- and I WILL literally cry the moment I get just that. You are one of the most dedicated people that I know- and smart- TRULY congratulations on your massive achievement and on your ability self-reflect. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations Shannon! I love how well you write, I totally went through all of the emotions with you as you expressed them. PS-You have the right perspective, and you reminded me that I can still celebrate an Associates someday and that I will be so happy when I do. Thank you for the encouragement. PS How's Chicago?

    ReplyDelete