Monday, May 14, 2012

Smelling the Roses

The past few weeks have been incredibly stressful. Among finding new renters, selling our car, taking finals and moving across the country, I thought I was about to go crazy. Everything was happening at once, and at one point I sat in the computer center seriously considering blowing off the 15-page research paper and 50-point final in my Digital Communication class. I mean it's just a final right??

Alright, alright I didn't skip the final. I can barely fathom the idea of skipping a final. I'm way too responsible for my own good, even if it means maintaining my sanity. I took the test and I wrote the paper, but believe me it wasn't as easy as it sounds. On the Saturday before finals I woke at 8 am to work on the research paper that was to be submitted before 11:59 that night. Somehow I didn't leave my room all day and submitted it just 15 minutes before midnight. It was the longest paper I'd written for school so far (a full 15 pages with sooooo many references), but it was good work and I was proud of it. I know way more about the iPhone 5 than the average person should know. Lemme hitcha with some knowledge!



I couldn't have been more proud though, than when I saw this grade posted on Canvas. I let out a huge sigh of relief, and a little squeal or two. That score paired with the 48/50 on my final brought my stressed-out spirits up enough to sign up for summer school. Can you spell crazy??



Speaking of stressful, Jace and I decided to put the TL up for sale. It was an emotional process for J, but we both knew it was time. We've been cutting costs like crazy and the TL was a heavy expense. Recently we wrote up a new insurance policy, ditched rent and HOA fees, and quit Xbox Live in addition to chopping down our phone bill with a switch to AT&T. We learned the hard way last summer that savings is of the essence and it's important to us to be in good financial standing before we have kids. Unfortunately that means losing the leather seats, but life's a lot less stressful with a bill cap of $300 every month.

Oh did I mention we sold it literally hours before we left the state?? As I was getting the last of our things out of the townhome Jace closed the deal with a few Iraqis and off it went. Bye bye TL!


Leaving rent, car payments and finals behind, we re-evalutated in Chicago. April was rough for both of us, and we were both ready for a new phase in life. I had tunnel vision and was unable, or maybe unwilling, to see the little things that make life that much better. It's a wearing feeling to be cynical, so I decided it was time to snap out of my coma and see the good in life again. Okay I sound like a crazy right now. Enter summer.

A day or so after we arrived we went out to our favorite restaurant for our favorite Bahamian food. We basked in the goodness of firecracker shrimp, salmon pasta and a chocolate island- realizing halfway through that we hadn't been on a (real) date in a couple of months. Shoot no wonder I felt burned out! We sat there reflecting on past summers, future summers and this summer- wondering where this adventure will lead us. I hope it will take us to more great food! ;)


As Jace works I reflect on things that make me happy, without reliance on my husband. I've realized accomplishment makes me happy, and since Jace sells best when I'm happy (convenient right?) I may just return home for a month or two of summer school. I want to have a purpose this summer instead of "wasting away" as Jace calls it. It's not that supporting my husband out here isn't important- it really is- but I know he'll do better at work without me around as a distraction.

Ugh this is not how I expected this post to go. I don't know what's up with all this self-disclosure. I meant to talk about what's making me happy as of late because I've had a shortage of recognizing happy lately, not how often plans change. Oh well I guess. Back on track. Anyway speaking of accomplishment, reading has made me happy lately. Unexpected, no-strings-attached luxury reading unrequired of upper-division classes. "The Art of Racing in the Rain," "The Great Gatsby" and conveniently-themed "The Happiness Project" have been keeping me busy lately without the stress of mid-term papers to go along with them. Can I get a hallelujah??



You know what else makes me happy? Cheesy, over-the-top ridiculous reality shows like The Bachelorette and Keeping up with the Kardashians. Funny, the premier of the Bachelorette starts in... 1 hour and 55 minutes! But really, who's counting?



It's not like these shows make me happy or anything. No you know what makes me really happy? When J watches them with me. And he does. Shhh don't tell his friends. And sometimes, when I'm really lucky, we have really intelligent conversations about the Kardashians like we know them. "Man my homeboy Scott really gotta be ditchin' those canes!"

:)



So for all 'yall that didn't know, yesterday marked an important day for me. No I'm not a mother and no I'm not bout to be a mother anytime soon... okay my announcement just got a whole lot less cool..

Yesterday was my last dose of Accutane- a skincare drug that makes life a living, well-- hell. So in popping those last pills hopefully for a very long time, I was a happy camper. And Jace too for other unsaid reasons. ;) So as we toured the Mag Mile yesterday and I came upon a MAC store I sprung for a good amount of lipstick- the one beauty product I've been completely unable to wear for the past six months. Ugh. With my lips falling off my face and my upper arms breaking out in spouts of rash, I think it goes unsaid that I'm happy to be done with that dang pill. And so happy to have new beauty products to celebrate!!




Speaking of beauty, my mom introduced me to my latest perfume favorite- a True Religion product I never would have tried. Since my pineapple orchid candle burned out in a matter of days, I've been relishing in the summery scent of this baby anytime we go out. It's funny how women indulge in scents so much more than men. Baking bread, popcorn, perfume, flowers... all those things send me into a happy frenzy. I may or may not have sniffed my fingers repeatedly on the way home from Bahama Breeze after eating their pineapple-marinated wings the other night. Man can you tell I'm so hungry??



Oh my little puppy. In an effort to keep him as happy as possible, we decided to leave him with my parents for the summer. I miss him soooo much, but my dad sends pics quite often. This one had the caption, "The fastest of them all." I love his little expression! So serious! Ha if this didn't make me happy I don't know what would!

Well that's it folks, the second installment of "What is currently making me happy." Because sometimes, when you're having those extra-rough days it's important, almost critical, to stop and smell the roses.


Even if your rose is a marinated chicken wing from Bahama Breeze. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment