Clear back in March my mama notified me that the best broadway show ever was coming to Salt Lake this summer. I'd seen it once before in NYC and I was planning to see it again in Vegas this Fall, but since Larissa and my mom had never seen it, we bought three tickets and started counting down the days.
We met up at City Creek and I finally got to see the mall that everyone's been talking about. I wandered through Nords, Ann Taylor and JCrew as I waited, taking in the fun atmosphere. Shoppers bustled around in dress clothes having just come from President Monson's birthday celebration, and kids in swimsuits splashed through the spraying fountains. Sigh... there's nothing like summer is there?
When my mom and sis finally joined me, we rushed downtown to the Capitol Theatre, changing into our clothes in the car of a dark parking garage. I quickly came to the realization, however, that the magenta fabric I grabbed out of my bag thinking was my brand-new-picked-specifically-for-Wicked-dress, was actually just a shirt, and I had no skirt for the show! Now even in the event of an emergency I'm not about to proceed into my favorite show in jeans... so I made a dirty decision. I bought a mediocre skirt from Express to wear during the duration of the show, then returned it the next day. Hey a girl's gotta do what a girls' gotta do right?!
Yeah that was a pretty long-winded explanation, but I had to justify why my outfit wasn't up to par for the splendor that is Wicked. ;)
Oh Wicked... I swear everytime Elphaba performs Defying Gravity I start to tear up. Yeah... it's that powerful. And you know what, there wasn't much of a quality difference between this one and the one on Broadway. They were both excellent! Apparently everybody I know is aware of that fact too, because we not only spotted my aunt and her boyfriend, but also my old boss and young woman leader and neighbor. It's a popular one!
Later that weekend we took advantage of our favorite Ogden aquatic center, and I hunted down tickets to the Brigham City Temple Open House. School was starting the following Monday, so we were definitely savoring the remaining bit of summer with my family.
The boys loved the high dive. They would do jump after jump, dive after dive, timing each so they would tumble into the water at the same time as each other. I love this pic of Pres and Jace.
My type of fun is the lazy river. :)
I guess I should mention our trip up to Ogden wasn't all play. It was business too since we had to pick Ollie up from my parents house where he'd been for the summer. It was bittersweet for us to have him back, but hard to pull him away from my dad. :/
We've joked since that Wally doesn't know how to go on without his grampa. But my dad was quick to correct that he is the one going through withdrawals. Within days of being back in St. George my dad asked, "Are you planning any trips anytime soon? Do you need a sitter for the pup??" Haha
Cute thing could smell my dad and Jace barbecuing!
Before the temple open house, Preston and I walked down to Ogden High together. Pres spent a week with us in St. G this summer, and over Alavaro's nachos I realized he's going to be a sophomore in high school! This is a big step for anyone, so I quizzed him for concerns for the future. First, it was important to him to know the layout of the building before the first day of school and second, of course to look good doing it! So J and I took him school shopping in St. G, and then I took him down to OHS to map out his classes a few weeks later.
Oh Ogden how you've changed! I thought I'd locate everything without a problem, but the building I knew so well four years ago has undergone major renovation. Pres and I consulted his schedule and put our heads together to locate each class as if were going there together for the first time. :)
Can you believe this lunch room?? It reminds me of high school musical. My cafeteria?! It definitely, DEFINITELY. did not look like that when I went to school.
There's my handsome brother, wearing his brand new electric blue shoes and ready to be an Ogden High tiger. He's gonna be off on a mission, married and old and boring before I know it. Jk bout that last part Pres. You'll be cool right? We'll be friends even then right???
Later that day the fam bam and I boarded a greyhound to shuttle the few blocks to the Brigham City Temple. There were soooo many people wanting to get in they came up with a very organized system to keep the Lord's house a house of order, even before it was dedicated and operating. Even nonmembers can appreciate that about our church don't you think?
And there it was as we rounded the corner... the same temple that we saw open and empty only a year ago.
Now it stood shining white under a clear blue sky with Moroni perched safely on top.
For some reason this temple holds a special place in my heart. I don't know if it's the proximity to my hometown, or maybe just that I watched it's progress from beginning to end, but I love the Brigham City Temple. It's SO beautiful. I hope to return very soon.
After weekends like this, I am so grateful that families are forever.


Shannon girl you are so pretty and your hair has gotten so long!! (side note- whenever I type the word gotten it doesn't seem right, but whatever). I am so jealous you got to go to Wicked! I was dying to leave Texas and come up there for it. Glad all is well. xoxo
ReplyDelete