Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Saint of Southern Utah


For a little over a year now students and locals alike have watched the progress of a building generously given to the community by one of Dixie's own-

 Jeffrey R. Holland



This General Authority has always been vocal about being a Dixie boy. Prior to the Holland building dedication Elder Uchtdorf said that President Monson "refers to Jeff as the patron saint of southern Utah," which was not surprising in the least since we've spotted him at numerous homecoming events and football games in the past.


A saint is exactly what Holland is. Students gathered eagerly around the building to get a glimpse of the general authority who made this $48 million building a reality for Dixie State.



Yet as expensive as this five-story 170,000 square foot building was, Holland refused to take credit for the building that the community named after him.

At the 'fireside' Holland joked, "There are times when you should not say one solitary remark. One is at your own funeral, and the other when a community is foolish enough to name a building for you."


The community stood and applauded him until he told everyone to sit down. He motioned Sister Holland to the podium with him and said,

"I am touched beyond expression.... I can't speak."

"I insist on this, absolutely insist on this- this building and this day are not for me. It's for the students. It's a commons building for a common student with common dreams in a common life. No more common a student attended DSC than I."

Referring to him and his wife: "We're not much. We're a couple of Dixie kids. We weren't much then and we aren't much now."

How humble is that??!


It was awesome to hear him talk about my little school.
 
Elder Uchtdorf said DSC is where Holland learned the values of life.

"It has been a blessing to call this place home," Holland said.


Following the 'fireside,' everyone moved over to the front of the Holland building and after a few words from President Nadauld the ribbons were cut and the building was officially open to the public.
 





I walked right by Elder Holland and his wife, but I didn't want to bother him with questions and hugs like everyone else so I just snapped a few blurry pics alongside him. It took me a good 10 minutes to realize I still had my sunnies on. Hello stalker!




As the library filled with people, I looked around thinking about the place where I'll be spending the majority of the next six months. I've been thinking a lot lately about my four-year education so Utah House of Representatives speaker David Clark's words hit the nail on the head when he said,
 
"In today's economy an education is worth more than ever before."




Look at that awesome cake!!

 
Elder Uchtdorf said the dedicatory prayer in the library.

"May God's blessings be felt here always," he prayed.
 

 I was so happy to attend the dedication and ribbon cutting of the Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons building. It has been awesome to watch the building go from the ground up over the past 15 months and now tower over the entire DSC campus. It's a reminder to students and the community of Dixie's pride, progress and potential as we make our way to university status.

How exciting is it that we have a general authority that believes in Dixie so much that he'd donate enough time and money for the students, faculty and future of Dixie State. After this dedication I'm proud to say that in six short months I'll be a Dixie alumn just like Elder Holland. "We're just a couple Dixie kids!" :)

Before the crowds dispersed President Nadauld summed up the day's excitement in three words.
 
"Hurrah for Dixie!"
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment