And I've been getting chances ever since.
My senior year I had the opportunity to intern at LDS Living magazine. I drove to Orem once a week and they immediately put me to work on their Making a Difference pieces. Honestly I have no idea how I gained so much credibility so quick because I had no idea how to properly write an article, let alone adhere to AP style. I'm so happy they did though, LDS Living was a great opportunity for me. I remember being in California for my senior trip and finding a copy with my article in it. When most high schoolers are searching for an identity, I learned exactly who I was.
After graduation I started corresponding with The Signpost, WSU's student paper. I was incredibly nervous since the rest of the staff had had plenty of journalism classes and writing experience, but they welcomed me with open arms. I'm not crazy about Weber, but if I ever decided to go there I know I'd love the comm department!
Because of my experience in newspapers and magazines, I was awarded a scholarship with the Dixie State paper as News Editor. I had fun editing and working on layout, but when my reign was up I moved on to the Opinion section for food reviews and columns.
During my year off school I definitely felt a writing void. Friends encouraged me to start a blog and I regained my passion for writing. However, when I returned to the DSC campus this fall I looked into Sun News and found another opportunity. I've been working with the producer and he has been more than happy to get me on the staff. In fact, he's even encouraging me to try my hand at broadcast and get in front of the camera! I don't know if that'll happen, but so far I've been so excited about my new writing outlet.
The SUN has given me a ton of freedom as far as topics and beats go so I picked a topic I was passionate about and got to work. I felt so rusty, but this morning Carson sent me a text that it's up on the website and looking great. Seriously it made my day that I made it through editing scott-free.
I feel like I've rediscovered my identity and I'm so happy to be back. It's been too long. :)
See me in action at http://www.southernutahnow.com/articles/2011/09/19/saturday-market-brings-crafts-community-together/




Wow!!! Congratulations Shannon! That is awesome! You are a very talented writer! I've really enjoyed reading your blogs! Way to go!
ReplyDeletethat is amazing Shannon! congrats! keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete