Saturday, September 10, 2011

Labor Day Getaway- Huntington Beach

Last Labor Day was monumental. Jace and I had been apart an entire summer, and he flew into Utah from New Jersey to spend a few days with me. Little did I know, however, that he would get down on one knee and propose an eternity together.

How do you beat that?

Well, we've literally been coast to coast these past few months, passing through every time zone and nearly the entire northern half of the U.S. So what's one more road trip right? 




The Tippetts were planning a trip to California for Labor Day so we packed a bag, gassed up the car and headed to Vegas.


We stayed at Ben and Sheridon's Friday night, then Saturday we met up with the rest of the family to caravan to Cali.




The Tippetts love Huntington Beach, so as soon as we got into town we headed to the shore. *With an exception to Jason and Tyler of course. They were off to ESPN zone for the BYU game. No surprise there. ;)

The only problem about relaxing at the beach over a holiday weekend, however, was how windy it was! I get cold so easy, so I lived in a hoodie.

Riss had never been to a California beach before so naturally Jace and I brought her along. The Tippetts were very welcoming to her and I'm pretty sure she had a great time. Since everyone's grown up and married- very different from the Johnson side of our fam- I'm sure she felt out of place, but she got to work building sandcastles and seashell hunting with the kids.


Ben and Jason braved the cold and got right in the freezing water our second day at the beach. No idea how he did it- now that I'm used to East Coast beaches California water is way too cold!

Wyatt liked riding around on the boogie board as long as he could stay dry. He was too cute, cuddling up in a towel on my lap. I wanted him to stay there all weekend!





The twins are such cuties. They have the most adorable voices. :)

 




Katie kept us entertained with crazy National Geographic facts.




Can't believe I got a pic with everyone smiling!

 




Sunday we were at the beach all day- roasting hot dogs and making 'smores.



Tyler and Jason searched the beach for treasure a good hour. Bless their little hearts. ;)



Mmmm I am CRAZY bout 'smores.





Check out Lexy, Alison and Ashley's matching suits! I saw these at Target and almost died. I want some just like these for my own little girls. Too cute.


Katie bein' Katie. :)



The kids were so entertaining. Who needs a book when you've got six kids?


Course the guys were pretty entertaining too. When Deb's earrings wouldn't come off they came to the rescue with pliers. Eeek!


See what I mean about entertainment? :)


A beach trip just isn't complete without a visit to Ruby's, a famous California diner.





Brothers hanging out while we waited for a table.




I love the atmosphere of this place. All the servers are dressed like Ruby (minus the cleavage baring shirts), and kids get little cars and trailers along with their menu.


The kids were drawn to the gumball machine right off the bat, and they got to work when they found out if you get a red gumball you win a rootbeer float! Go Sammy and Spence!


After dinner we walked through Downtown Disney. I think I love this place even more at night. It is just packed with Disney magic.


Had to stop at the Lego Store of course!

I think I love this place as much as the kids do!





Katie took me into Disney Vault- a designer version of all things Disney. I had no idea Dooney and Bourke does Disney!


I love this Minnie Mouse 'seatbelt bag.' I was convincing Katie to buy it until I saw the pricetag- a whopping $360. Maybe next time Katie!


I'm convinced the best fireworks on earth take place at Disneyland. But then again you'd expect nothing less at a Disney park.


On the last day in Cali we headed back to the beach, but this time for pictures, not play. The kids weren't crazy about that, but they did an awesome job in front of the camera!

John and Deb


Katie and Sam

Jace and I

It was a great family vacation with the Tippetts. I'm so grateful to have united families. Jackson Hole with the Johnson Half last month and Huntington Beach with the Tippetts clan this month makes for some good times with the most important people to us.

Although last Labor Day was groundbreaking, this year was a blast. There would have been no better way to spend it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment