I've actually been meaning to blog about the accomplishments I've made in my life, and how scary and difficult it was/is to face them. Who knows when that'll happen though, so here is the actual speech I'll give on Friday that includes just a few fears I'm proud of myself for facing.
_________________________________
The lights were bright and the seats were packed, the curtains wide and ready to offer another girl to the probing eyes of the audience. It was hot, too hot. And I was sweating. But just as I turned to run they announced my name. “Shannon Johnson!”
The purpose of my speech today, is not to get you up in front of an audience to perform ridiculous tasks like a monkey in heels, but rather to convince each of you to confront the things you are afraid of. I truly believe the quote, “Curiosity will conquer fear even more than bravery will.”
I was a contestant for the Miss Dixie pageant three years ago. I didn’t do it because I’m a performer, in fact I feel there is nothing pleasurable at all about getting up on stage to perform a talent, to answer on-the-spot questions and parade around half naked. But nonetheless, I signed up and I did what I never thought I could do- I faced a fear.
I put myself at risk, in front of a crowd to push myself, to test myself. I was curious about what would happen if I faced that fear. And you know what happened? I got a crown and I gained a title.
A year before that I found myself falling out of a plane 10,000 feet above land. Now I’m the kind of person that gets sick riding a merry-go-round, so it’s safe to say that skydiving was quite the uncomfortable adventure. It’s scary enough to nearly fall to your death, but worse than that- my reputation was at stake. I had to put on a front that I was completely calm and collected because there’s nothing worse than peeing your pants in front of your boyfriend!
At the count of three I leapt into the air and fell a very long 30 seconds before my parachute jerked me up and slowed me down as I flew through the air. I jumped out of an airplane to push myself, to test myself. I was curious about what would happen if I faced that fear. And you know what happened? I discovered a new hobby.
Two summers ago I flew to Florida, with no more than fifty bucks in my pocket. My friend was moving there for work and we were convinced I’d go with him. There’s nothing scary about moving to the state of sunshine, but it becomes scary when everyone you know is foreseeing your failure. I had never lived outside the state of Utah, so moving across the country was nerve-racking.
I was terrified I’d be wasting my time- that I wouldn’t find a job, I’d acquire debt and I’d return home a failure. But you know what, I moved away to push myself, to test myself. I was curious what would happen if I faced that fear. And you know what happened? I found two jobs and I had a blast doing it.
I stand here today, facing yet another fear, but happy to do so. I believe that each of us are capable of facing the things we are most afraid of.
You never know what can happen until you make that leap.
Wish me luck! :)



No comments:
Post a Comment