Today in church I was abnormally fixated on motherhood. The lessons were far from the topic, yet I found myself making a mental list of things I would like to do when I become a mother one day.
My brother-in-law recently advised Jason and I to be in our best physical shape when we begin having kids. I got thinking about that and not only do I want to be healthy and fit, I also want to be in my best 'spiritual shape.' I want my children to observe clean language, a positive attitude and a grateful heart. I wish my testimony to be as strong as possible and our home to be filled with the comforting company of the spirit, especially when babies come along. ;)
In sacrament meeting I watched one of my young women leaders trace the shape of her little girl's face with a light finger when Macy laid her head on mom's lap. My own mom used to do this to me in sacrament and I remember laying so perfectly still as to not interrupt the movement across my cheeks, my nose, my chin.
Next to Brooke and Macy was the bishop's wife holding her sweet little boy on her lap. I watched them now, as she examined each of his little fingers and the lines in his hand. There was something so precious about this act and the look of his tiny hand in hers. Physical touch has always been important to me, and I've heard that touch is especially important for new babies and young children. I hope to show my kids how much I love them, with plenty of hugs, kisses, high-fives and thumb-wars. I want them to feel comfort in my arms and love from my touch.
As my children get older, watching the prophet speak in conference will be a requirement. Another one of my young women leaders shared in Relief Society that her mother always used to say, "Do you know how blessed we are to have a living prophet speak to us?" She learned at a young age that hearing the prophet speak is a blessing. I want my children to have a love for the prophet just as I loved President Hinckley growing up. In addition to the Savior himself, what better example for a child to look up to than our modern-day prophets.
Last month my hairdresser (and good family friend) shared her daughter's struggle with a learning disorder. Becky recognized that her daughter would never fully overcome this challenge, so they pulled out Berkeley's young woman manual and worked on her award together, practicing her reading with scriptures and conference talks day after day. When Berkeley got her award at 14 years old, Becky got her into one of the best dance studios around and together they make the commute each week. I was so impressed that Becky took a challenge and used it to better her relationship with her daughter. She feels like Berkeley has found a purpose now, that she has developed the confidence she so desperately needed.
These are just a few, unorganized mothering thoughts, but I feel it's important to recognize the examples of some great mothers. Because one day I'll have no idea what I'm doing and I sure as heck will need some help. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment