Monday, October 3, 2011

STG Marathon 2011

Last weekend was one of those weekends you live for- complete with food, friends and family. In addition to the annual Buddy Walk in Las Vegas, General Conference and "Ladies Night" with my sister in laws, I volunteered for the St. George Marathon and had a blast doing it.





Not many things are worth a 4 a.m. wake-up call, but the sunrise we saw as the runners began their race made little to no sleep 100% worth it.







7,500 runners passed by our aid station at mile marker 5.








Jason, Larissa and our friends Leana and Lyndsay were sweet enough to join me. Together we sliced oranges and handed out half a million water cups.



Then we picked up half a million water cups. :)















When we signed up to volunteer, we had no idea we'd be working with the young men and women of a Washington Ward.



When I interviewed a few of the leaders I learned the ward has been helping out at the Marathon for 25 years!






When our volunteer 'shift' was over we headed into the heart of town to watch the first thousand runners cross the finish line.



Runners held hands, carried children and collapsed across the finish line. At one point Jason turned to me and said, "This might sound lame, but everytime someone crosses that line I almost get choked up." It wasn't lame though, because I felt the same.

You feel attached to them somehow, as if the service you gave them drew you closer. Then you find yourself feeling for every last runner. It's an experience I wouldn't take back. Even if it did mean six more hours of sleep. ;)








Read more about our experience at http://www.southernutahnow.com/articles/2011/10/03/washington-county-ward-volunteers-25-years-maratho/

No comments:

Post a Comment