It seems there are few shows on TV that deserve my attention lately. In fact now that my beloved Chuck is over, I figured I'd be commerical-celibate all summer. My plan dissolved, however, when I found myself addicted to a reality show that I don't even believe in.Every Monday night I huddle in front of the TV, watching a show that in my eyes, is unrealistic... The Bachelorette. I hate to say, is growing on me and I can't seem to pull away. Maybe it's Ali's chic wardrobe or the fun date ideas that hold my attention. Maybe I don't mind seeing 25 guys constantly taking off their shirts. ;) Whatever it is, I tune in religiously, despite my disagreement with the show.
As a quick review, the objective of the show is for one lucky man or woman to find their soul mate in a fish pond of suitors. The bachelor/ette, gets to know the guys/girls in a whole new spin on double dating. Through bungee jumping, music videos, candlelit dinners and helicopter rides, the bachelor/ette has the opportunity to find the love of their life.
That's where I come in. Besides the fame and fortune, I wonder what intentions a bachelor/ette has when "signing up" for the show. Of course ABC declares the show as a search for love. As a natural-born skeptic, I question the fine print.
If Ali, or Jake or whoever just so happened to NOT fall desperately in love, does that mean they failed their own show? Did they destroy the ratings or did they get a bonus? Eh, it's insignificant.
Week after week I wonder how I would react if dropped into a day in the life of the bachelorette. I wouldn't be surprised if millions of girls dream of being the bachelorette. While it'd be an experience you probably wouldn't forget, I think it wouldn't all be pleasant.
Week after week I wonder how I would react if dropped into a day in the life of the bachelorette. I wouldn't be surprised if millions of girls dream of being the bachelorette. While it'd be an experience you probably wouldn't forget, I think it wouldn't all be pleasant.
I would be way too stressed out about breaking 24 hearts. And making quick decisions that could change my life? Forget about it! That is way too much pressure for me. While I do enjoy choices, too much of a good thing would make me crazy.
Now another thing I wouldn't be able to handle is all the kissing. A handful of the guys have already forced their lips on Ali when they know they have a crowd watching. The remaining guys are always eyeing Ali from a distance, getting riled up about who has and has not kissed her. They rarely consider their true feelings for Ali, and instead spend too much time concocting plans to get their lips on her. Sounds like a game of rivaly to me.
I don't take dating lightly. In fact it seems I have always dated significant guys in my life for at least a year. I figure if I'm going to spend eternity with someone, then I'd better know what I'm getting myself into! The Bachelorette, of course is speed dating. I simply don't understand how someone can find their soul mate and be completely ready to commit in so little time. I am aware that an alarming amount of people do this in real life, but the concept is so incredibly bizzare to me.
Can someone really be thrown in the middle of 25 random guys off the street and honestly find love? I mean you never know who you'll fall in love with in life, but with so little time to get to know somebody, is that really love? Or is it just concealed as lust, intrique, or infatuation. I still don't understand my sudden fondness for the unrealistic reality show called the Bachelorette, but just for the record, I'll be rootin' for Kirk. :)
Holding 25 hearts in your hands is a big responsibility. Thank goodness it's not me.

No comments:
Post a Comment