I've reached that time in my life.Lately my roommates, friends and classmates are all picking out diamonds, snapping engagement pictures and sampling cakes in preparation for the big day that is finally upon us. It's strange, of course, to see girls I used to play with on the playground oh so many years ago honeymooning, house hunting and baby having. It's here though, that magical time where you entrust your heart, hand and future to the person you can't live without and want to spend eternity with.
While my special moment has not arrived just yet, I am in no hurry. There's pressure and speculation, but only I will know when my time is right. For now I can prepare, to ensure that I will be ready when a ring happily lands on my finger one day.
Just like my dad, I tend to overanalyze anything and everything. There must be perfect weather to warrant a vacation, plenty of savings to consider a new car, and the perfect man to merit a marriage. However, I'm learning to fight that point of view. There are plenty of men out there who are far from Prince Charming, but will indeed meet excellent husband quota. For me the problem isn't finding that man, it's swallowing my apprehension and doing it.
Since this month's topic of my writing class is weddings, I've had time to reflect on what I envision my wedding to look like. Most likely I'll be the only woman in the class writing about the future, but it will also allow me the opportunity to explore that special moment with the special ladies in my group.
My wedding, should my betrothed choose to accept, will be carried out in the following ways:
From 2 to 20, I've never questioned the location. I will marry in the Salt Lake Temple, and I will not settle for less. It's where my parents and grandparents were sealed, and to me it is a beacon of light, a symbol of the gospel, and not surprisingly, just where I want to be married.
I envision an elegant reception center or a well-manicured backyard dazzling with twinkle lights, romantic tunes and fragrant blossoms. I'd like to avoid a traditional line and float from person to person instead, but with so many people trying to get a moment with the bride and groom, a line would probably develop on its own.
My mom jokes that we'll have to get Cheesecake Factory to cater since I'm so smitten with their tuxedo mouse and red velvet cakes. And hey if my parents want to pay for that, that's just fine with me!
From watching too many hours of TLC's "Say Yes to the Dress," I am pretty sure I have glued down dress details. I always felt fantastic in big poufy prom dresses, and I'd like to use that style when it's time to pick a wedding gown. I'll be covered in yards of tulle and sparkly details, with cascading curls and simple jewelry to top it off. No flip-flops or Nikes for my feet; under my dress I'll be sporting some rockin' heels.
Any other "minor" details will be promptly addressed as soon as I become engaged. For now I'll simpy look forward to that special day that will probably come all too quickly, and focus instead on finding the right person, that I will be married to by the right authority, in the right place, and at the right time.
I've had many great examples to look to for inspiration on anything from style to love. Below are pictures of amazing, beautiful women in my life who each inspire a piece of my future-hopefully-not-so-far-off-wedding.
I loved the kelly green that Marie picked out for her sash. It definitely compliments her light skin and dark hair. She has always had flawless, glowing skin and big beautiful eyes. The small details of this splash of color, her embellished headband, and the lace on her dress wrap up this elegant look.
I loved the kelly green that Marie picked out for her sash. It definitely compliments her light skin and dark hair. She has always had flawless, glowing skin and big beautiful eyes. The small details of this splash of color, her embellished headband, and the lace on her dress wrap up this elegant look. 
This incredible dress is astonishing on Natasha, but it doesn't take a gorgeous gown for her to look breathtaking. She's one of the most beautiful friends I have! Tasha is so humble and down to earth. I think her bubbly personality is explained in the fact that she wore pink converse under this dress!

Jenni has always been a blonde, but her transition to dark hair is refreshing and bold. If I remember the story correctly, she flew to France to get this dress. I couldn't get enough of it!

Whitney's proposal story was so exciting! Her boyfriend led her on a week-long scavenger hunt and on the day of her 20th birthday he took her to the Ogden airport. The couple went on a romantic flight over scenic Ogden until they got to a field that spelled out "Marry me." She looked over at Gabe and he was holding out this gorgeous ring. What a great story!

While I don't know Samantha personally, I do love the Eccles family. I was stunned by the amount of natural beauty Samantha has. Her eyes are simply captivating. She doesn't need gaudy jewelry or a flashy hairstyle to capture all the eyes in the room. THAT is beautiful.

This picture was taken by one of my favorite wedding photographers. I love how the green of the plants brings out the color of Rachel's eyes. She also has so much natural beauty to her. With little makeup and a simple modest dress, she is still strikingly beautiful.

Katarina's engagement pictures are so adorable. The personality of bold bright colors and a fun location bring out the light-hearted and happy nature Katarina always emanates.

Katelyn had a very traditional look in both her engagements and her bridals. Her french braids, classic pearls, muted flowers and detailed dress was simple, yet unique.
I loved the cake Sara choose for her wedding. Since both her maiden name and her husband's last name both start with the letter M, she topped her beautiful cake with a dark blue M. I thought it was perfectly appropriate since the McArthurs were uniting in marriage. :)
The bright summer colors Jen picked out stand out boldly against the black and white. I was especially excited about her engagement because she married into my extended family!
Meg's dress shows exactly what I'd like to have in my bustle. She doesn't have an unnecessary long train to get in the way, and the flowing layers are perfectly charming.
If there is a definition for soulmates, these two would be it. Leanne dated Ben in high school, and she religiously wrote him when it was time for him to serve a mission. Upon returning, their love rekindled, (or rather it never died) and they married in the temple not long after. This couple has such a deep sense of true love for each other. I admire that greatly.
I was married in the Salt Lake Temple. I will never forget that day. From arriving to my own ceremony 45 minutes late to loosing the car keys in the temple to being an hour late to my reception because we had to get a set of keys to open the car and not being able to take formal pictures, my wedding day was a stressful day. Or at least it should have been. Some how none of that matter. I remember the days leading up to my wedding as being very stressful but the day itself was perfect. Nothing went smoothly but I didn't care. That day stands out in my memory as the single most significant moment in my life. I cherish the memory of that day. When I need a pick me up, I think of that day. Especially in the last few the covenants I made that day and the blessings promised to me have sustained me. I know I will be with my dear husband again and that when we are reunited it will be like a second wedding day. Getting married in the temple takes commitment and work, but take it from someone who knows, it is well worth it.
ReplyDeleteI will be frankly honest, I loved this post simply because it had weddings in the title, and then you hit my ultimate weakspot with including gorgeous pictures! I love looking at other people's wedding and engagement photos and plan my own day! My plans are ever changing, but there are a few details, like you, that are rock solid! :)
ReplyDeleteThis was such a great post! I loved how you spotlighted so many brides and specific reasons why you loved their weddings. Each had a personal tough! O and thanks for spotlighting me as well! I am glad you are going with a ball gown style dress for your wedding, whenever that will be, I think there is something so awesome about feeling and looking like an actual princess!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked it Josie! You and me both. I ADORE anything weddings. It's so much fun. Next time the wedding expo comes to St. George we'll have to go together. I can't believe we didn't do that from the start. Haha
ReplyDeleteKatie I'm so glad you told me that. I've never heard about your wedding day, and I just about cried when I read your comment. Thank you. :)
Thanks Sara, it was a fun post to write. My writing class always has fun topics for us to write about, and I decided to personalize it a little bit with the pictures.
Awww, I feel honored to be on your blog!!! Tender! I'm excited to see what your wedding will be like... ;) It was so fun to see you at the reunion! We should frolic sometime before the summer ends.
ReplyDelete