Monday, August 16, 2010

A refreshing look at pictures


Yard sales: A dangerous location for individuals who tend to accumulate useless junk.

However, with recent trips to nearby yards mid-Saturday, my definition has abruptly changed.

Yard sales: A convenient place to find inexpensive pieces of junk that can be fixed up and prettified.

In an effort to chase down ugly chairs, I made my rounds to neighborhood yard sales a few week ago. Armed with a wad of tens and a cold Coke in hand, I perused golden placemats, dulled jewelry and neatly folded t-shirts. My excitement heightened, however, when I came across a box of old picture frames. I had recently been inspired by a new way to display pictures from one of my favorite diy blogs.
I was thrilled to find two matching gold picture frames in mint condition. The sweet old lady following me around told me to name my price, so I offered $3 for each frame. I left her yard with an armful of purchases and a smile stamped across my face, excited to begin my next project.

I'm obsessed with Tiffany blue lately, so when it came time to paint you can guess what color my fingertips were stained.

Big difference huh? I adore the frame. The texture gives it personality.

Since my first frame turned out so well, I made a second one. My mom had the tall frame laying in a pile awaiting a future at DI. I painted it much rougher than the first one, accepting chips and uneven color, while the first one was babied- doused in paint and carefully treated.

I took my favorite pictures and attached them to the chicken wire with wooden clips covered in strips of little-girl fabric.

It's no accident my frames match the table I finished a few weeks ago. When I have a home to decorate one day, these will go well together in a guest or little girls' room.

Remember how I bought two frames? Well my mom bought these genuine postcards of Rome from a consignment shop when she was visiting me in St. George back in December. She wanted somewhere to display them, but hadn't found anything she liked. I showed her the chicken wire idea, and she got right to work after I did. Unlike me, mom kept the original color to match the gold frames hanging in our living room. I think the metallic looks outstanding against the rustic pictures of old Rome.

Who knew a yard sale could bring so much fun?

1 comment:

  1. Shannon great job on these frames and your chair!! I need to get more creative for my house....but my friend recommended a fun diy site called allthingsthrifty.com you should check it out. Hope all is good!!

    ReplyDelete