Friday, August 20, 2010

Summer goals a success

In May I created a detailed list of goals for my summer back in Ogden. I'm a very goal-oriented person, and summer break is no exception. I had spiritual, financial and extracurricular goals that I wanted to meet over the span of four months.


So with WSU classes officially starting tomorrow, I guess that would make today the final day of my summer. I copied those 25 goals from one of my very first blog posts, and pasted them here, eliminating the goals I did not meet.

Reflecting on the good times I've had these last few months has helped to alleviate the grief that passes over me each time summer comes to its' end. It's been a good one, and I know this is exactly where I'm supposed to be.

Here are my successful summer goals of 2010:
1. Watch the 4th of July fireworks over the Statue of Liberty...IN PERSON.

No, I did not actually see the fireworks OVER the Statue of Liberty. Instead, I watched the Macy's fireworks over the Hudson River, with the Statue on my far left and the Empire State Building on my right. Close enough, I figure!



3. Learn how to re-cover furniture from the all-knowing herself: my mom.
I completed this goal 100%. Over the four months of summer, I recovered a total of eight chairs, and I have three more in the process. These projects have been a great opportunity to pursue a fun hobby and learn a useful skill, as well as spend quality time with my mom.


4. Eat my first philly cheese steak...in Philadelphia!

Seriously how can anyone go to PA without trying a genuine Philly cheese? Jason was all too eager for me to have this experience. ;)


5. Treat myself to a pedicure. Who couldn't use one of those?

I think I enjoyed this treat much more than I should have. But hey, summer is an essential time to get a pedicure, so I wasn't complaining. Pedicures are now my reward for good behavior. To say the least, I'll be made of sugar and spice and everything nice!



6. Read the Book of Mormon.

I'm really happy with my commitment to this goal. It's difficult to focus on the scriptures when school is in session, so I'm happy I've formed a steady habit over the summer that will continue into the school year.

9. Buy clothes that make me look professional. No more t-shirt and flip-flop business.

This picture doesn't do me any justice, but I really have been changing my wardrobe. Besides the fact that my job as a receptionist requires a professional exterior, Express, New York and Company and H&M have been my most-visited-stores this summer. I'm replacing high-school t-shirts with button-ups and collars. Much better. No more college kid grunge, I'm professional woman.


10. Take my siblings on individual outings. Joel wants to be my friend, and that won't last for long.

With three other siblings to battle for attention, I think Joel really favors alone time. On my lunch break one day I told him we could go anywhere he wanted to eat. I gave him a list of pricey options, but in the end his top choice was still Arby's. So we collected our milkshakes and curly fries, and he was happy as a clam. Those small things mean a lot to kids, and that's something I definitely need to prioritize. After that, I made sure to invite my youngest brother on chair and paint-hunting trips at DI and Home Depot. He was pretty okay with that. :)


11. Take every service opportunity that comes my way. Especially focused on my grandma.
Grandma doesn't like pictures much now that the chemo has had its' way with her. But I made sure to make plenty of trips to see her this summer to dust her house, clean her bathroom, or just to visit. I spent a few days accompanying her to chemo or infusion treatments at the hospital, not because she needs the help, but because I know she needs the love and support. My whole family pitched in to move her and my grandpa to an assisted living home, and I know that she is incredibly grateful for the small services that we all need to do more often.


12. Put a significant amount of money in savings. Caution- expensive future ahead!!

I have significantly curbed the amount of spending I was doing there for a while. Now, I eat out less, shop less, and drive less. With larger paychecks than Texas Roadhouses' wimpy tip share at my fantastic new job, I am able to deposit my earnings in savings for those expensive bills that will soon roll my way.

14. Purchase a pair of B-A nude pumps.

Sadly it nearly took me all summer to find a pair of nude pumps that absolutely blew me away. But at last my time came. I know this picture doesn't do these babies justice, but I feel super sexy when my feet are all dressed up in these. While they are not completely nude, the almond shade will allow me to wear them clear into Autumn. I am in LOVE!


15. Study the April conference talks.

Jason and I started reading the conference talks together over the phone, but eventually my family decided that we would study the different talks for FHE. Each Monday we read and discuss what each topic means to us. It's a great way to follow the counsel of our prophets, and gain insight on a topic that you otherwise wouldn't read/study.


16. Take Preston and Joel to the nearby water parks. I'd probably enjoy it more than them.

Yeah this was a selfish goal. While I did take my siblings with me, I'm probably the one who had the best time. Waterparks are bomb!


17. Eat plenty of strawberries, hamburgers, watermelon and corn on the cob.

In terms of food, I enjoy summer food to its' fullest. In addition to burgers, watermelon and corn on the cob, I stressed fresh-grown raspberries, cherries, pineapple, ice cream, popsicles, dutch-oven cooking, etc. Almost every summer food you can think of!


18. Show Chris all the good things Northern Utah has to offer.

Chris and I only had one date together before he returned back to our beloved St. George. So I explored Northern Utah on my own. ;) I forget all the wonderful places that are right at my fingertips when I'm living back in Ogden.


19. Do 5 things I never thought I'd do.

I definitely did a few things I could never have foreseen.



20. Go to Central Park, in NYC!

Yes I did go to Central Park while I was in NYC, but since it was a night visit after seeing Wicked, (LOVED btw) I did not get any pictures. I'm hoping to visit the famous park again soon, hopefully on a beautiful Autumn Sunday.

21. Read, read, read. The classics, gospel doctrine, self-help, financial mumbo-jumbo...

Okay forget the self help and financial blah. This summer I didn't read anything that could 'help' me, persay, but I did read a handful of really fun books. I read the Hunger Games series, and I am counting down the days until the newest book 'Mockingjay' comes out. I also read 'The Traveler' as a recommendation from a friend. And as a huge fan of Dan Brown, I finally got around to reading 'The Lost Symbol,' which has got me wondering why I didn't pick it up sooner. 'Eat. Pray. Love.' was my favorite this summer, and I finished it barely over a week prior to the movie coming out.


22. Somehow pay Jace back for all that he's done for me.
Okay I don't think I completed this goal, but I had to show pictures of the incredible roses he sent me! On terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days, Jason is excellent at making me feel better. On two occasions he had a dozen roses delivered to my office, and a much-appreciated gift card to Cafe Rio on another day. He is INCREDIBLE at taking care of me and making me feel loved, even from thousands of miles away. There's no way I could completely accomplish the goal of paying him back. No way. You should see all that he does when we're actually in the same state!
24. Work on my blog!

I think my blog skills have done a 180 with a couple months of pracice on blogger. I finally feel like I kinda know what I'm doing. And for the most part, I can actually post a few pictures!

25. ENJOY MY SUMMER BACK AT HOME. :)

Needless to say, I think that I have throughly enjoyed my summer back home.



No comments:

Post a Comment