
I realized last night that I'm a control freak.
Okay I guess I've always known that, but last night confirmed it. Being Friday night, The Captain thought it appropriate to plan a surprise date. That doesn't happen often because I'm almost always the one to plan weekends, let alone weeknights, holidays and vacations as well.
Sadly, the date didn't pan out, as my own plans got in the way. We did go out to dinner, but it was at the place I suggested, at a time most convenient for me. No wonder he doesn't do the planning more often. :(
I feel bad. My New Year's resolution should be, "Relax, chill out, just be easy breezy, baby." Serious. I need help just letting go. To combat this control problem I have, I am letting go of all control in an area that I would normally dominate all the planning.
The Captain's going to plan our honeymoon.
A childhood friend of mine suggested this a few months ago. She allowed her fiance to surprise her with a honeymoon location. Although she wasn't thrilled with Jackson Hole upon arrival, she said it was one of the best vacations her and her honey have had together.
It scares me, letting go of control for a vacation I want just perfect. I have lofty expectations for a honeymoon. Visions of hammocks and spa days, drinks and palm trees sway through my head. None of that up the canyon, around the corner, camping in the woods stuff. I'm vying for an all-inclusive resort where we can play in the ocean, hit the spa or hang out and relax, but still near enough to the city that we can scuba, shop or tour.

But I'm fighting it- my overwhelming tendency to take over. While it is difficult to remove myself from such plans, I'm sure it will be good for me to let go. I need it. And probably good for The Captain as well. He keeps reminding me to delegate wedding plans, so why not hand off one of the stressful tasks weighing so heavily on my mind?
It's trust, really. If I couldn't trust my fiance to plan a vacation, then maybe we'd have bigger things to worry about. But he's really good with surprises. For Valentine's one year I found myself on a catamaran to Catalina Island! A complete surprise. Shoot, if he can pick out the engagement ring I wanted before I'd even seen it, I think he can plan a decent tropical trip.

So in two months time, I'll be boarding a car/plane/ship to an unknown location. With my own desires aside, I'll trust my new hubby to plan the honeymoon of a lifetime. No pressure dear. ;)
Control freak aside, this time I'll be easy, breezy, baby!
No comments:
Post a Comment