It's official. I'm a bridezilla.
I've been in bed two hours and I'm still huffing and puffing about the planning meeting I had with my reception center today. I'm so heated/stressed/frustrated that I feel ready to scream... or vomit.
Warning: For readers who are not especially fond of whiny posts, please turn back now.
I understood the 8 week notice planning meeting to be a designated time to communicate ideas and plans with the reception site. However, after 3 1/2 hours of "planning" at the meeting today I feel as if nothing was communicated, understood, or nailed down. At all.
Let's see if I can explain. Have you ever tried to have a conversation with someone who talks in circles? One of those people who you swear just likes to hear their voice, and talks and talks and talks without allowing a word in edge wise?
Well, I walked into my 2:00 appointment today feeling pretty prepared. I have a vision- a pretty detailed vision- of how I want my big day to go. I have a plan for everything, from food to feathers to tablecloths to traffic. The problem? Rarely was I asked what I wanted. And if my opinion was asked, my decision was picked apart and questioned.
Seriously. When I explained the table setup I had in mind, she explained that I am the first bride to ever change the usual setup. When I was asked my preference on dessert, she explained that my choice of chocolate covered strawberries hardly compare to their house-made wedding cookies. When I asked about branches, she offered floating candles. When I asked about music, she showed me floating candles. When I asked about tablecloths, she suffocated me with floating candles. And just so you know, I don't want floating candles!!!!
Then there were these ridiculous conversations about labor costs, but how they pride themselves on the fact that they don't have hidden fees. Here's what happened- my mom and I decided we would spend extra money on purple tablecloths rather than the white cloths they provide. Because we'll be holding a luncheon prior to the reception, she suggested two tablecloths for each event, in case Uncle Bill's spaghetti doesn't make it to his mouth. (Jk, seriously I am not having spaghetti in a white dress) I agreed with her suggestion, and we moved on. That is until she decided that changing the tablecloths on 5 tables takes so much time that we will have to implement an additional labor cost. As if $45 for colored cloths isn't enough, we have to pay an additional amount for someone to change the purple linens, than they would have done with the white for free. Am I crazy or does that not make sense?
Apparently we'll be seeing plenty of extra charges. Since we can't bring in our own snacks for the kids after the ceremony, we'll be paying for the reception center to make pb&js. We'll be paying to take one picture off the wall if I want an engagement print hung, and we'll be paying to take the floral decorations out of the overcrowded serving area. Oh and if I hear the word "cognisant" one more time I swear I'm going to freak.
After 3 1/2 hours of this I was ready to sneak my written check right back into my pocket. For someone who assures my wedding will be just how I want it, there sure wasn't a lot of listening.
Lately I'm just feeling so sick of people disregarding my opinion. In my search for the dress, I explained a concern about a sash fastened around my midsection. Her solution? "Well honey, just stick your nose in the air and don't look at it!" My hasty reply, "Excuse me maa'm, if I'm going to pay $1000+ for your wedding dress, I sure as hell want to like looking at it!!"
(Grandma if you're reading this please disregard my language. ;)
PHEW! Okay I think I'm done venting. I apologize for the negative thoughts and feelings in this post. Believe it or not wedding planning is not all fun and games, and lately I am definitely becoming friends with the unpleasant moments a wedding has to offer.
In these moments, I just need to brush up on those two semesters of yoga, reavaluate my relationship with f'real milkshakes, and crack open my laptop.
Has anyone felt like a Bridezilla when it came to wedding planning? Were you completely frazzled? How did you handle the unavoidable amount of stress?

Oh no! That brought back memories. I hate that. It seems a lot of people in the wedding industry think since they have been doing it for such ad such years they know what you want which is a "cookie cutter" wedding. My favorite flowers are daisies and I wanted daisies. When I went to the first floral shop the lady was insistent that I could not have daisies and I should do carnations. CARNATIONS! Are you insane? I was so annoyed she wouldn't even offer anything else. I ended up (at another shop)with these roses which were supposed to be green tinted and showed up yellow. Apparently daisies are a little too fragile for a wedding flower. There are always hiccups but in the end the positives will definitely outnumber the negatives. :) You will make it girl. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteShannon, I am a big advocate of not telling people what to do. Remember that you are paying for their service and they should do it how you want. LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD! You can do it in a nice way, I know you can. If you don't get an answer to a question, ask again and again, if needs be. This is YOUR day and you should have it how YOU want. If you need some back up, let me know! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies! I'm definitely learning how to better stand up for myself. And I might just need your help Becky! ;)
ReplyDelete