Thursday, December 30, 2010

Skipping through polka dots and daisies...


Today I checked off yet another major wedding task. I'm more than proud of my progress at the moment, as wedding planning hasn't been super convenient what with the Christmas and New Years hubabaloo and working overtime hours at the office.

But I guess I can't take all the credit.

Let me just tell you, creating our wedding announcements has been the most enjoyable, pleasant wedding-planning experience we've had as of yet. However, things weren't always looking so good. I was very distraught actually, frustrated that I couldn't find an invitation that portrayed our own personalities with a touch of creativity and flavor. They're all the same, it seemed. Each paper company I found printed the same old card with the same old layout and the same old pictures. Seriously. They. All. Look. The. Same. Ugh.

So as I perused site after boring website I became even more discouraged with my search. I began considering custom designs, which is of course an extra cost, extra time and therefore an extra burden, but I felt it my only choice to get a unique announcement that I am completely satisfied with.

That is until I stumbled through Polka Dots and Daisies. And yes it was as lovely as it sounds.

A modest company located in Bountiful and Lehi, Utah, Polka Dots and Daisies was more than pleasant to work with. Their website showed a number of beautiful invites that I admired, but the designs I loved (such as the picture above) were not in my budget. But I set up an appointment anyways, more out of desperation than anything else.

And boy am I glad I did.

I had a dress fitting in SLC the same day, so stopping in Bountiful for a quick appointment was quite convenient. It was a quaint little place, looking more like an elegant two-story home than a business. Rechecking the address, we headed up the steps and up a grand staircase to the happy office on the top floor.

Mollie greeted us with smiles- a pregnant 20-something girl with wonderful people skills and a listening ear. Let me tell you, I am SO grateful to find people in the wedding industry who actually listen to what I want! Mollie took notes of important factors such as when I need my invites completed, what colors I'd like to use, what paper I like, how many pictures I want, etc. Then we went to work.

We went through a stack of samples, pretty ones, but not the one. Then we went through a second stack, pulling out favorites here and there to take note from. Then I found it. A little square invitation peeked out from behind the others. And it was perfect.

  • It was a tri-fold- perfect because they aren't overdone.

  • It used eight engagement pictures- perfect because we have an excellent photographer that I am more than happy to show off.

  • It features a quote in one corner- perfect because I have collected quotes for years.

  • It was square- perfect because square envelopes are just too darn cute.

  • It was linen paper- perfect because I love the feel of it beneath my fingers. *Macaroni Grill uses linen menus. Believe me I know, I rub the menu all through dinner.

For once I was able to say with certainty, "That's it! That's the one!" If only I could be that certain with everything wedding related. How easy life would be.

Beaming with excitement we began to plot the layout, picking fonts, motifs, etc. Our announcements were in the works, and it was the first invitation vendor I'd met with! (Thank goodness I didn't have to go though 11 like I did with dress shops)

To celebrate our wedding progress, The Captain and I stopped at Salt City Burger Co. afterwards. Apparently our luck continued because we were surprised with a buy one get one special when we received the bill. (If you ever get the chance to try Salt City, do. It was one of the best burgers I've had) Let me just take this moment to say I am never going to be one of those starving brides. If I gain 15 pounds I gain 15 pounds. Let's just hope it goes to the right place. ;)

Anyway, from there the design of our wedding announcements was a cool summer breeze.
Mollie and I emailed ideas back and forth for a week. She sent me updated proofs and I messaged right back, changing things around here and there until today everything looked just right. Being at work, The Captain called up Mollie with my credit card information and we confirmed that the proofs were ready to print. And bam, it's done!

Well kinda. In 7 business days our lovely little invites will be ready for pick up. I can't wait to see the lovely little announcements that came together so well. What a refreshing take on wedding planning.

If only everything wedding-related was as easy as Polka Dots and Daisies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment