Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Stress? What Stress?


Last week I broke out my planner for the first time since May.

Two words: Wedding plans.


I guess you could say I have offically begun the long journey of wedding planning. Jason was making a trip up to Utah and I was determined to get a good jump on things while he was here. This may come as a shock to some, but I am determined to have Jason involved in the planning. (Having the groom help with wedding plans is becoming increasingly popular you know) And let me just tell you skeptics, it has been great. We'll be up against a few more decisions than cake and colors in our marriage, so why not get practice with matters that don't matter much in the long run.

Our week as outlined in my planner:

Monday- Shop for semi-corresponding engagement outfits. *Don't buy spike heels; Jace can't keep up.

Tuesday- Meet with the cake lady for the first time. *Let Jason make the decision on cake flavor. Pray he will choose something generally pretty. (Red velvet tastes great, looks awful)

Wednesday- Meet in Provo promptly at 4pm for engagement pictures. *Don't eat anything while wearing white dress. Don't forget to shave legs.

Thursday- Meet with florist. *Try not to be Bridezilla. Or just come to grips with the fact that I will be Bridezilla.

Friday- Go over reception-provided invitations. *Remain calm when mom has a mini-freak out over the number of invites we expected to order.

Saturday- Check out that little bridal shop by the freeway. *Don't get attached to anything strapless.


And this is how the week actually went:

Monday- While searching for flats I found some gorgeous heels that just so happened to match my dress perfectly! The steep price and original plan not to tower over Jace didn't do much to stop my beeline for the register.

Tuesday- Two hours and a few sketches later, we had ourself a good-looking idea of a cake. Jason looked like Christmas day when the cake lady told him she would go out of her way to make the chocolate mousse he requested. Although I was secretly hoping for aesthetically-pleasing vanilla, I couldn't shatter his happiness. Chocolate mousse it is.

Wednesday- By the power of all things holy, we actually made it on time! And my legs were shaved too! In our hurry, we stopped at a Wendy's drivethrough for the cleanest snack we could think of: chicken nuggets. (I'm not going to mention the drippy frosty that accompanied those nuggets) Jace held the honey mustard and all-but spoon fed me the nuggets in hopes of preserving my cream-colored dress.

However, upon getting out of the car Jason spotted a bloody cut on my ankle (I must have shaved too fast again) and (prepare yourself) a nice food stain smack on my behind. Let me just tell you those yoga breathing techniques sure come in handy when I'm trying not to freak out.

Thursday- I'm afraid Bridezilla may have reared her ugly head. When the florist said, "Don't worry about it, I'll just throw something together," I just about experienced a heart attack. As nicely as I could, I asked for a follow-up appointment when I have more solid plans- plans that she can follow to the T. I definitely do not want last-minute flower surprises.

Friday- With a quick pep talk in Jason's car, we came back into the house with game faces on. Upon further explanation, we showed my mom that 500 invitations doesn't have to cost a lot if you pick the right vendor.

Satuday- Alas, I fell in love with something strapless. The little sign in the window advertising my beloved Maggie Sottero's didn't do much to hinder the strapless ordeal. After 5 or 6 different dresses, the owner pulled an incredible Maggie that I had not ever seen. It was not lace, or sparkly, or sleeved by any means, (all things I expected from THE dress) but it was incredible. From the six bridal shops I have been to, this Maggie by far trumps them all. We'll just have to do some serious altering if I decide to go back and get it.


In between chaotic meetings and appointments, decisions and choices, Jason and I were really good about keeping the romance alive. I read somewhere that in order to keep the peace, (and the sanity) a bride should take one night a week with her fiance to go on a good old-fashioned date where wedding plans are not allowed to be discussed. Well you don't have to ask me twice! Just like the good old days in St. George, Jace and I went out for sushi. To our surprise, we happened to come right during happy hour! (Sushi rolls are half off once a week apparently)

We each ordered our old favorites, then compromised on a new roll to try. I can't tell you how great it was to cozy up at a table just for two to discuss future married life. It was one of those nights where you feel pretty and attractive, conversation is lively and interesting, and every bite you take just seems over the top amazing.

Jace admitted he was surprised how well I had taken the stress of the week. We confronted quite a few curveballs, but I managed to keep my cool throughout. That made me happy to hear that I seemed generally calm and collected because honestly I've felt pretty good about everything. It's stressful and overwhelming to plan a wedding of course, but I've been taking everything one step at a time, focusing on what is really the most important and that is the relationship I have with my almost-husband.

Despite the wild schedule and detailed to-do list of last week I swear Jace and I have never gotten along better. We worked as a team and compromised, being careful to sense each other's feelings. I stand by my statement that having the groom involved in wedding plans is not something to run from. In planning a day that I want just perfect, who better than to be by my side?



Up next: Saturday was the Pinnacle Backend Party. A black tie affair, Jason's work party was held at Thanksgiving Point instead of the Salt Palace. Check out the prizes we made out with.

5 comments:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again ...you are SUCH a talented writer. I know you want to read into my comment but remember I said your talents are in WRITING..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez Shan! You're a high rolla cause Maggie's expensive! I wanted one of hers but had to come off cloud 9 and get something more reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HHAHAHAHAHAHA Shannon, I love you. And kudos for involving Jace. That's the way to go. Ben and I did everything together too, and I loved it. He was awesome, and it was way cute about how opinionated he was about certain things, too. :) I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg: I haven't bought the dress cuz I'm one of those people who have to try EVERYTHING on to rule out whether it is the best choice. Makes for a frustrating time though! Maggie's are gorgeous, but they sure do empty the bank account fast!

    Leanne: I keep remembering your story about going hot cocoa shopping with Ben- I think it's the 'sweetest' story. (Ha no pun intended!) Thanks! I'm excited for YOU and your big news too!!!!

    ReplyDelete