Monday, November 1, 2010

Rebekah Westover Photos= Perfect Photos


Years ago, my mom divulged some serious words of wisdom.

"When you get married, don't spend your money on hoardes of flowers, towering cakes or designer dresses. Use that money to invest in something that will last - your wedding pictures."
Years later I'm engaged to marry, and those words still ring in my ears. I couldn't agree more with her advice. Pictures are invaluable. They preserve those precious feelings, emotions and memories that eventually fade from the mind. A picture says a thousand words they say, so why wouldn't I take the time and pay the money to preserve the happiest day of my life?


Essential qualities of a wedding photographer:
  • I was positive I wanted a female photographer. Women have a natural ability to see details better than (most) men do. Also, I would feel more at ease with a woman. (Not to be taken in a dirty way, haha)
  • I want her to be experienced. Yes it's less expensive to find an "underground" photographer working to build his/her portfolio, but I don't want my wedding to be someone's experiment. Instead, it's critical that she be familiar with the camera.
  • Social skills and a sense of style would be nice. 'Nuff said.
  • Details are important. Too many pictures lack the dimension of detail. Leaves on trees, freckles on a face, the folds in a dress, each are important to the quality of a picture. I recently changed my mind on a photographer I adore, but I felt could not photograph the color white. On a day where I am head to toe in white, this was the deal breaker.
  • I want my photographer to have a creative eye. Seems simple right? You'd be surprised. Photography is so much more than smiling faces. Props, location and style add so much to the character of a photoraph.

Clearly, finding a photographer was near the top of my priority list when it came to wedding planning. I was picky though. A trip to the South Towne wedding expo a few months ago throughly confused me. Dozens of wedding photographers drowning you in albums and business cards gets more than overwhelming. When the vendors didn't immediately draw me in I continued my search, using my investigative journalism skills to track down a photographer that would perfectly match the style of my fiance and I. That's when I found her.


Two words: Rebekah Westover.

I first saw her work in Latter Day Bride magazine. From there it was almost impossible to evade her incredible photos. A bridal shop I visited had framed her prints to hang on their wall, adding a dash of panache to the shop. Her name is scattered over hundreds of Utah weddings, each done in equal excellence. Type her name into google and you will find page after page of wedding-goers crazy about Rebekah.


I began stalking her blog frequently, studying nearly every post intensely. Just like a kid with a cookie jar, I couldn't keep myself away. I was/am constantly attracted to her work. How's that for a match?


It didn't take much to convince my mom that Rebekah is the one. We fauned over every image, every detail, and every photo. Mere days later we had Rebekah Westover booked for our February 11th wedding. Wednesday Jason and I meet with her for our engagement shoot. While I admit I'm stressing about outfit selections, I have upmost faith that our engagment pictures will be nothing but fabulous with Rebekah Westover as our wedding photographer. I can't wait!



Check out Rebekah Westover's blog at http://rebekahwestover.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment